British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-05-16, 08:10 AM

Default QVC Royal Navy Cap badge?

I would be interested to know more about this badge, appears to be QVC but different to the usual pattern. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg navy1.jpg (65.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg navy2.jpg (53.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 10-05-16, 09:49 AM

I believe worn between 1879 and 1891.

A superb badge, thanks for showing

Andy
Old 10-05-16, 09:56 AM

According to Coleman the circular ring surrounding the anchor was approved in 1879 and was withdrawn in 1891.

As with all these things, I am sure it was worn for longer.....
Old 12-05-16, 03:04 AM

Default Thanks

I have often wondered why QVC RN badges are so scarce considering the size of the Royal Navy. I am in the market for the post 1891 officer badge if anyone has a spare, also any QVC cloth sleeve badges. The only one of these I have is a badly mothed gun below a QVC.
I understand that many RN badges were worn by various Australian colonial navies, shown on the Australian War Memorial website. There were a number of distinctive buttons (NSWNB, HMCN, HMQN and NAV) but few distinctive local navy badges. We had a lot of coastal artillery batteries, some of which are still in good condition, and fortunately the Royal Navy was on our side.
Old 13-05-16, 04:41 PM

Default Victorian RN badges

Hi Kingsley

I have attached a couple shots of my QV RN cap badge, including closeups. Mine is the Civil branch variety(ie: Paymasters, Engineers. Surgeons, Naval Instructors), all embroidered in gold wire, no silver wire as were the Military branch cap badges.

Your example also appears to be a Civil branch Officers badge - is there any silver wire embroidery within the badge? if so its a Military branch cap badge.

They seem very hard to obtain, this is my only example of a VR period RN officers cap badge . I have a CPO as well. & I have been watching out for them for well on 50 yrs now.

I too cannot understand what with the size of, say the Ironclad period of the RN, why there are not more of their badges & insignia around. I have a very few Victorian period rank & rate badges & none in red or blue embroidery.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VR Officer cap bd.jpg (99.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg VR Officer capb crown.jpg (92.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg VR Officer cap b cr.jpg (77.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg VR Officer cap b.jpg (76.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 13-05-16, 04:48 PM

Default VR RN CPO capbadge

Here is my VR CPO cap badge, this example is Military branch.

Its the only Military branch example I have ever seen, but I have seen a Civil branch CPO cap badge.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RN CPO cap b.jpg (107.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg VR CPO cap b cr2.jpg (99.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg CPO VR cap 1.jpg (90.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 13-05-16, 04:53 PM

Default Victorian RN PO2

Attached a beautiful CDV of a Victorian RN PO2, the PO2 badge I do have (attached)& also the Marksman qualification badge (with star, not the crown example, never seen one). His rate SGT badge I would love to have, altho I do have similar.

Hope not boring you!

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PO2 SGT1.jpg (49.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Victorian PO2 .jpg (36.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Victorian PO2 Anchor.jpg (96.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Victorian PO2 Crown.jpg (107.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 13-05-16, 05:00 PM

Default RN CPO Insignia

This CPO insignia from the circa 1890 period is very rare. I

have a good photo of a CPO in my medal collection wearing this badge & will post it also.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CPO VR insignia.jpg (108.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg CPO VR insignia 2.jpg (101.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Winsor.group.frame.jpg (89.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg RN CPO rank ph.jpg (49.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by RCN; 13-05-16 at 05:06 PM.
Old 13-05-16, 05:04 PM

Default VR GI rate badge

A beautiful example of a Victorian GI(Gunnery Instructor) rate badge, later Victorian period. I have this CPO's medals & badges as well.

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RN GI 2.jpg (58.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg RN GI 3.jpg (57.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg RN GI crown.jpg (97.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 14-05-16, 05:53 AM

Dear Bryan,
Many thanks for your posts of these fantastic badges, have never seen any (also after 50+ years of looking).
Have you seen the recent Australian publication "Kit Muster"by John Perryman?
He illustrates what must be the ONLY badges ever seen for the NSW Naval Brigade pre 1900, officer and CPO.
Old 14-05-16, 06:51 AM

hey bryan
they are some lovely items.
ive got a couple of bullion victorian naval items. will try and dig them out
cheers
bc
Old 15-05-16, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
Dear Bryan,
Many thanks for your posts of these fantastic badges, have never seen any (also after 50+ years of looking).
Have you seen the recent Australian publication "Kit Muster"by John Perryman?
He illustrates what must be the ONLY badges ever seen for the NSW Naval Brigade pre 1900, officer and CPO.
You know perhaps some day someone is going to come across a "cache" of Victorian period rate & rank badges that had been hidden away somewhere, (perhaps during a house clearance or some such sort) for many yrs & finally comes to light - what a find that would be!!

I was not aware of "Kit Muster" - thank you for that info - I would like to obtain a copy of same. I dont know a lot about RAN badges, I will have to have a look at Abe Books & see if I might find a copy. I have heard about the NSW Naval Brigade in that time frame you mention & I think there might have been a topic on it sometime in the past posts on this Forum - it certainly rings a bell way back somewhere! I expect badges to the NSWNB would be exceedingly rare as well!

Bryan
Old 15-05-16, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgecollector View Post
hey bryan
they are some lovely items.
ive got a couple of bullion victorian naval items. will try and dig them out
cheers
bc
Hi bc-
Thanks for your post. yes pls show your VR RN badges if you are able.

What I think I will do is start a Topic on Victorian Naval Rate & Rank badges so as not to tak over kingsley's topic, as I too have a couple more examples to show.
Perhaps that will draw a few more examples out of collection drawers!

Bryan
Old 16-05-16, 02:38 AM

750 members of the NSW Naval Brigade invaded China in 1900 as part of the Boxer Rebellion Legations relief force. The War Memorial in Canberra has a very nice display with a lot of amazing relics, including a 3 metre jingol musket and a Krups field gun, but not the badges apart from a sennet hat with "New South Wales Naval Brigade" on the hatband.
I have seen various black powder obsolete European and US arms (bought cheap by China after nitro propellents were adopted in the 1890s) with dragon stampings or Chinese characters. Apparently the multi nation relief force blew up any arsenals they found and the ordinary soldiers helped themselves to anything they fancied. My grandfather told a story of a neighbour who brought back seven cartloads of loot, some of which my grandfather received from his widow when he was later killed at Gallipoli. The officers no doubt got even more.
When the Charlton Heston movie "55 Days at Peking" was made years ago I remember reading that the incredible embroidered silk robes worn by the Dowager Empress were in fact the originals, borrowed from some place in Italy where apparently the Italian contingent had looted them.
Attached a scan of the badges (not from my grandfather). The only item I have from his time is a large broad blade peasant sword.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nswnavalbrig.jpg (45.5 KB, 16 views)