British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-02-13, 03:37 PM

Default Where is the Rank Lacing?

This is a photograph dating from probably 1914 or later, due to the presence of the Webley & Scott .455 cal. Self-loading Pistols Model 1913 Mk IN's.
Although the cap badges clearly connote commissioned officers, the reefer or "monkey" jackets show gilt buttons, but without any rank lacing. Somewhat of a mystery, perhaps some form of working dress? Any thoughts?
Jim
Arizona Territory
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (14.9 KB, 80 views)
Old 11-02-13, 03:57 PM

Yes most confusing. However, the illustrations (Post 1915) should give you some idea that a person could have an officer's cap badge, but no lacing, i.e Warrent Officer, under 10 years, Midshipman etc

Regards John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Naval Ranks Civil Branch.jpg (83.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Naval Ranks Executive Branh & Engineers.jpg (89.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 11-02-13, 04:11 PM

Agree with you John, but wouldn't they have the three gilt buttons and lengths of black frogging showing on the sleeve cuff, per the illustrations? Ops, footnote in fine print momentarily escaped me, as you stated for under ten years service. Have a copy of the same "Rank at a Glance" book, should have checked it. Still thought it was a fairly unique photograph, that many warrant officers at one place, at one time. Thank you very much.
Jim

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 11-02-13 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-02-13, 04:59 PM

Is this the 'I can beat you with one hand behind my back' training?

Marc
Old 11-02-13, 05:36 PM

two different weapons?

I bet the barn door needed to be within 10 yards too.
Old 11-02-13, 11:22 PM

Not sure about the automatic but the revolver looks like a MkIV Webley .455, lovely pistol, shoots beautifully even single handed, 25 yds is a good range. AND when you hit somebody they stay hit! Don't knock them.
Eddie
Old 12-02-13, 01:30 AM

The automatic is the webley and scott, only used by the navy.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/bri...y-scott-e.html Lovely gun... <3

Tom
Old 12-02-13, 02:06 AM

Could they be officer cadets, prior to issue of proper uniform?
Old 12-02-13, 01:20 PM

I think they are likely Naval cadets or Midshipman, with the photo as it is you would not see their lapel insignia,
& I dont think they are Warrants as no sleeve buttons visible.

RCN Bryan
Old 12-02-13, 08:03 PM

Hello Bryan,
You're absolutely correct regarding not being able to see any white patches on lapels. Personal opinion (possibly wrong) is that the men that can be seen look a bit old to be Midshipmen, and if you read the fine print in the page of 'Rank at a Glance" that 'Royston'(John) provided (see fine print footnotes lower right of first image), it specifically addresses the uniform of Warrant Officers with less than ten years service (without lace stripe). If you happen to be interested in the Webley & Scott semi-automatic pistol, you may also want to scan my two blog pages on the subject; http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com.
Best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Arnhemjim; 13-02-13 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-02-13, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnhemjim View Post
Hello Bryan,
You're absolutely correct regarding not being able to see any white patches on lapels. Personal opinion (possibly wrong) is that the men that can be seen look a bit old to be Midshipmen, and if you read the fine print in the page of 'Rank at a Glance" that 'Royston'(John) provided (see fine print footnotes lower right of first image), it specifically addresses the uniform of Warrant Officers with less than ten years service (without buttons or lace). If you happen to be interested in the Webley & Scott semi-automatic pistol, you may also want to scan my two blog pages on the subject; http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com.
Best regards,
Jim

I have Rank at a Glace (both volumes) - Quote from page 13 - "If under 10 years seniority without lace stripe".
Warrant officers always wore the three cuff buttons, as did Naval Cadets & Midshipman. Actually prior to circa 1870 Commissioned officers wore them below their lace also.

& yes, I too thought they might look somewhat older than Naval Cadets/Midshipmen, but its really hard to tell with that photo. Only two faces just visible & the man on the left looks as if he has his eyes shut, probably scared of whats going to happen when he pulls that trigger...

& the weapons dont interest me at all, actually guns scare me!

RCN Bryan

Last edited by RCN; 12-02-13 at 09:19 PM.
Old 12-02-13, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCN View Post
I have Rank at a Glace (both volumes) - Quote from page 13 - "If under 10 years seniority without lace stripe".
Warrant officers always wore the three cuff buttons, as did Naval Cadets & Midshipman. Actually prior to circa 1870 Commissioned officers wore them below their lace also.

& yes, I too thought they might look somewhat older than Naval Cadets/Midshipmen, but its really hard to tell with that photo.

the weapons dont interest me at all, actually guns scare me!

RCN Bryan
Its not the guns that scare me, its the nutters that can get hold of them.
Old 14-02-13, 12:51 PM

Default Warrent Officer

Further to my last. Photograph of a RNAS Warrent Officer (Under 10 years) as a RNAS Pilot. He is wearing a cap badge with an anchor and is, therefore, not a direct entry RNAS Pilot, but has come into the RNAS as a transfer from the Executive Branch of the RN.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Warrent Officer Pilot RNAS.jpg (31.1 KB, 15 views)