British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-01-17, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinRF View Post
Hello,

...I had wondered if the 1st Mounted Regiment had any other units within it other than the 13th L.H. - sooooo, is it safe to assume, then, that the same patch design was being worn by both the 13th L.H. (serving in the U.K./France) and the 1st M.R. (serving out in the M.E.F.)?
Hello

You've lost me a bit here, 13 Aust LH Regt was formed in Australia as part of 4 LH Bde and after August 1915 transferred to 2 Aust Div, serving on Gallipoli. In March 1916 the regt was split up in Egypt, forming div cav sqns for 2, 4, and 5 Aust Divs, all of which proceeded to France over March-June 1916. RHQ and MG Sec were disbanded. In July 1916 the three div cav sqns were concentrated in France under a new RHQ and became I. ANZAC Mtd Regt. It was universally known under its original title of 13 Aust LH Regt and continued to wear the same colour patch.

You may be thinking of I. ANZAC Mtd Tps, which consisted of the 13 LH Regt, I. ANZAC Cyclist Bn and a British motor machine gun battery!

Also the tunic you show as a Remount Unit is in fact a mounted divisional AASC, either Aust Mtd Div or ANZAC Mtd Div. Nice, and rarely seen, but not a remount patch.

Thanks for the info on the RAA title. Between 1911-1927 our permanent artillery were the RAFA and the RAGA. I'll keep an open mind on them.

Keith

Last edited by fairlie63; 28-01-17 at 08:36 PM. Reason: Correction to information
Old 29-01-17, 05:54 AM

I have two different sizes of the large RAA titles (separate letters attached to metal strips). They came from UK and I have often wondered about them. Will attach some scans when able.
What is the small AMR title? Never seen it.
Secondly, the L in half wreath illustrated recently by Martin is WW2 British in my opinion. To the best of my knowledge (as I wrote in this post recently but could be wrong), the AIF did not wear the white titles with light brown threads.
Old 29-01-17, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
I have two different sizes of the large RAA titles (separate letters attached to metal strips). They came from UK and I have often wondered about them. Will attach some scans when able.
What is the small AMR title? Never seen it.
Secondly, the L in half wreath illustrated recently by Martin is WW2 British in my opinion. To the best of my knowledge (as I wrote in this post recently but could be wrong), the AIF did not wear the white titles with light brown threads.
hi guys
I think we are all enjoying this thread. learning heaps.
martin you have an awesome looking collection there but I do think some/several are British. anyway, I am no expert so happy to be educated.
bc
Old 30-01-17, 01:38 PM

Default some Australian shoulder titles

Hello,

Attached is an example of a printed British WW2 trade/qualification cloth badge - 1st Class Lewis Machine Gunner. My previous trade badge posts are not of the British WW2 types - i.e. this, and the previous post of "L" in a wreath on a wool-felt backing. The colour of stitching used doesn't hold any distinction to a period of issue within the British trade badge genre - the size, backing cloth, construction and style of detail are the only criteria.

I have since read that the "M.G." and "L.G.", without a wreath, were also used by the Territorial Army element of the British military.

A further attachment is an image of some cloth patches of mine for A.I.F. mounted units.

Also is a most recent image of my metal titles - with a few additions.

(8{
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BritishWW2_20170129_203940858.jpg (29.4 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg TA_20170124_202246.jpg (38.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170130_102121144.jpg (39.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20170130_102625999.jpg (42.2 KB, 56 views)
Old 12-05-18, 11:20 PM

hi all
can anyone tell me what the AAS title is in Martins previous post?
its in the middle of the blue board with the titles on it
cheers
bc