British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic > Forum Operation

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-12-16, 08:47 AM

Default Avatar Help

Hi All,

Can anyone give me some help with my avatar please. I have it as a 6 x 4" photo on my laptop at 300dpi and it's nice and sharp. When I resize it to use on here it goes all blurry.

What am I doing wrong?

Do I need to change the dpi? I have tried but without much luck.

Michael
Old 13-12-16, 04:31 PM

It is a bit difficult to answer such a technical question if you do not even explain what you are technically doing. I assume you are not using scissors, but some software. Which one? Maybe someone knowing how to use it can help you.

BTW, I do not think the dpi setting has any influence.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 14-12-16, 07:44 AM

Hi Henk,

I have taken photos of the two badges, merged them in photoshop and then saved them as a jpeg.

I've then cropped the image to make it a square shape and then resized it to the dimensions the avatar instructions say they have to be (80 x 80 pixels).

I then saved it as a jpeg again and uploaded it.

I have tried it at 300 dpi as if I was printing it and I have tried changing it to 72dpi for screen resolution. I've also tried it at 100 and 150dpi just in case that makes a difference and I've even tried saving it as a png file rather than a jpeg. It has me baffled.

Hope that makes sense.

Michael
Old 14-12-16, 09:06 AM

They way you did it looks logical enough to me. I do not use Photoshop, but the steps will be the same. What was the size in pixels before you scaled it down to 80x80?

Scaling it down from e.g. 800x800 to 80x80 you compress 10x10 pixels into one pixel and that gives an awfull lot of loss of information. The only thing you could try is a little (but 10% at the max) bit of sharpening on the 80x80. It is however possible that it becomes worse. Information lost in scaling down is lost.

The DPI has no influence here. It is only functioning in conversion from (scanning) and to (printing) paper. In electronic form there are only pixels.

Interested in the lineage of the unit your badge represents?
Try: Regimental lineages
Old 14-12-16, 11:54 AM

Have you tried using 'Paint' which is part of the Windows 10 suite. I use it all the time to alter size when posting on here or ebay. It's simple and easy to use. Under 'File' select 'Open' find your pic and open it. In 'Image' on the top menu bar select 'Resize.' Tick 'Pixels' enter 80 (or whatever you want) in horizontal, and tick 'Maintain aspect ratio'. Job done. So as not to lose the original 'Save As'
Old 14-12-16, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the help everyone.

I've tried resizing it in paint and I think it does look a bit clearer now.

Michael