British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-07-14, 10:20 PM

Default ROTO Patch Lot - Today's Gunshow Buys

Hi Guys, I picked up this lot of Afghanistan ROTO patched from the same source of my IR badges. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on this lot and what they actually stand for. Maybe its time for a open Canadian ROTO Afghanistan album?

Regards,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-afgan1.jpg (93.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 2-afgan2.jpg (99.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 3-afgan3.jpg (96.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 4-afgan4.jpg (80.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 1-afgan5jpg.jpg (85.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 2-afgan6.jpg (60.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by GregN; 13-07-14 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Adding additional images
Old 14-07-14, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Greg, These are being reproduced/fantasized in considerable numbers. With modern technology and embroidery machines, the image of a patch can be downloaded and turned into a computer template for machine embroidered insignia in minutes. It is really important to get as much information and details about the insignia from the vendor as possible. A legitimate dealer in Alberta was selling rolls of the cream/biege coloured velcro, and someone bought a couple of rolls and made up quite a pile of repro patches. They copied the images from a thread on another Forum and using the modern technology the images were fed into the computer and copied. The copies were very good, but several things gave them away. One was the fact that the velcro backing was exactly the same for patches issued over six years time. It is troubling that you have patches from completely different Roto's with the same velcro backing, stitched in the same way. I am not comfortable with that part of the lot.
Old 14-07-14, 01:44 AM

The construction of those patches with the tan velcro are not consistent with what I saw being done on the boardwalk at KAF, assuming they are supposed to be theater made.
Old 14-07-14, 02:09 AM

Thanks guys, my source picked them up in Afghanistan about a month ago while doing some election work as a rep of the UN. It appears these are available in theatre by the same entrepreneurs who made them for the troops years ago. Again, it would be nice to have a album on these.

Greg
Old 14-07-14, 05:40 AM

Hi Greg

Authenticity aside I can tell you that the “205th/Team Empire” was designed by a Star Trek fan: the globe/dagger is the symbol for Imperial Earth in the ST ‘mirror universe’ (the one where Kirk etc. are the bad guys) first seen in the episode “Mirror, Mirror”. I have a pin of the same device on my ‘cut’.

Graham
I am looking to purchase items from the British Administration Police & Prison Services in Cyrenaica & Tripolitania; Eritrea & Ethiopia; Somalia (f. Italian Somaliland) & British Somaliland; & the Dodecanese: insignia, documents, photographs etc.

Tags
afganistan roto