British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Military Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-07-14, 01:08 PM

Default Liverpool WW1 commemorations

I wont mention the giant puppets ( my thoughts on them are best kept to myself ).

The Kings Liverpool Regiment had 57 battalions in the Great War although not all served abroad.

All the media attention seems to be focused on the four Liverpool Pals battalions. It may be that because of the circumstances in which they were formed they attract more attention than the other battalions but I do wonder if at the end of the commemorations most Liverpudlians may think the Pals were the City`s sole contribution to the war and will know nothing about the Liverpool Scottish, Liverpool Irish, Liverpool Rifles and all the other battalions sacrifices.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 25-07-14, 01:48 PM

Peter,
When it comes to the Great War it is the Pals battalions that sell papers nowadays. Many of the reporters writing the stories don't know of any of any others, and the schools have found it easier to teach kids about groups of men from the same works, area, etc., going off to war together.
However, you can be sure if there are Giant Puppets, or similar, that they will get more of a writeup than even the Pals battalions.
Eddie
Old 25-07-14, 03:16 PM

Default Credit where it is due

As usual the media pick up on one aspect of either conflict and hound it to death, recently D-Day was highlighted almost to the point where younger people and some older ones think that this was the only action fought in the Second World War.

Likewise Pals Btns have got more interest than any of the original BEF units that were serving at the front from the very start purely by the fact of their sad losses and that they were unique in their recruitment.

Rob
Old 25-07-14, 10:04 PM

I thought the giant puppets were at Anfield

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 25-07-14, 10:15 PM

Simon,

If the giant puppets are at Anfield then I seem to think that the giant Muppets were last seen at Old Trafford!

Dave.
Old 26-07-14, 10:20 AM

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 27-07-14, 09:53 AM

Commemorations or a Pantomime -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...yside-28437653

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 27-07-14, 10:24 AM

I don't get the obsession with giant puppets, more so in this case than any other, why does she fart and spit? Its beyond me.....maybe i'm just not clever enough.

Edit: why am I calling it 'she'?
Old 27-07-14, 11:37 AM

Quote from article; section of the show over the weekend will be dedicated to the WW1 Liverpool Pals battalions

Peter,
At least they did mention the WW1 Liverpool Pals battalions but, of course, the Giant Farting Puppet is much more important in centenary Great War commemorations.
Where do they get these ideas from?
Eddie
Old 27-07-14, 12:28 PM

Eddie,

Presumably from this lady:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...colgan-3397125

The language in the article reminds me of the BBC comedy about the run up to the Olympics which stared ( amongst others ) Hugh Bonneville.

P.B.

Old 27-07-14, 01:11 PM

All just people who's job it is to have to keep justifying their own jobs. WE NEED MORE CULTURE!! No we need a better education system to prevent people like her.
Old 27-07-14, 02:14 PM

Phil,
I think it reflects that is more important nowadays to have paper qualifications than experience or ability.
Knowledge of WW1 may be seen as a disadvantage when organising the commemorations as you must make it entertaining for the masses. Not educational. Crazy!
Eddie
Old 27-07-14, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebro View Post
Phil,
I think it reflects that is more important nowadays to have paper qualifications than experience or ability.
Knowledge of WW1 may be seen as a disadvantage when organising the commemorations as you must make it entertaining for the masses. Not educational. Crazy!
Eddie
Quite right! I spent 35years as a bobby and during that time I lost count of the number of "wiz kids" who used to appear and then disappear after a short time, all with pockets stuffed with paper qualifications Invariably they were very nice people but regrettably most could give you the square root of a jar of pickles but would starve to death trying to get the lid off! I'll say no more otherwise I will be writing for several paragraphs........

Dave.
Old 01-08-14, 05:03 PM

Hello all,
The reason behind the concentration on the Liverpool pals is down to the Liverpool pals memorial fund crowd, and the unveiling of a commeorative panel(s) at Lime St station, dedicated to the pals, which takes place on 31st August 2014. Now the pals memorial fund lot have been harping on about special recognition of the pals, because they were all volunteers, and I did send them an email pointing out that so was eveyone, regardless of who they served with, until conscription came about. It is a sad fact though that quite a lot of people don't know what the pals were, or what battalions they were. Having said that the same could be said for the TF battalions with the possible exception of the Liverpool Scottish who have a memorial in the garden at the rear of StGeorges hall and who parade every remembrence. Personally I think more should be done to educate the people in Liverpool about all the King's battalions. You may think that a major place to find such information may be the city soldier section in the new museum, but this is sadly a poor area of information. Oddly enough they have no cap, collar or shoulder badges to the pals on display. They do have a sweetheart brooch, but they don't mention who it's for.
Old 01-08-14, 05:23 PM

Billy,

Couldn't agree more.

Peter