British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-10-09, 08:48 AM

Default What are these?

Hi, Can anyone tell me about theses badges,

The first I've seen listed as the 227th Independent Infantry Brigade! but I've also seen it listed as the Orkney and Shetland Defence Command. Which is right?

The next I believe is the 80thh Infantry Division. My interest is in collecting insignia with a maritime connection! This badge clearly has the image of a ship on it, does the division have a maritime connection?

Next is, I believe the 264th Scottish Beach Brigade, when was this badge worn (WW2 of after) and what units made up this division?

The last two are described as Army Emergency R.E and Port Commando R.E. I've been unable to find any references on these units, any ideas?

Regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 227th Indepenent Infantry Brigade.jpg (14.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 80th Infantry division.jpg (11.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg !BbDppIw!mk~$(KGrHqIH-CoEquZ7NEfiBKuOwP7Wkg~~_35.jpg (16.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 03. Army Emergency RE.jpg (18.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 01. Port Commando RE.jpg (16.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-10-09, 12:51 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Good Morning Sailorbear, I am new into british patches but I will venture to name these for you & stand to be corrected in the meantime, I have No 1 as 430th Coast Regt. RA
##2,,,80th Br. Infantry but no div or bde etc
#3 ,,264th Scottish beach Bde
# 4 ,,Royal Engineers AER Field & work Unit
#5, Port Commando
I have another like # 1 but in blue listed as Ornkey & Shetland defence RA, Can you tell me what AER means in the Field & work unit?

Ray

Last edited by boots and saddles; 03-10-09 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-10-09, 02:27 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
Good Morning Sailorbear, I am new into british patches but I will venture to name these for you & stand to be corrected in the meantime, I have No 1 as 430th Coast Regt. RA
#5, Port Commando
I have another like # 1 but in blue listed as Ornkey & Shetland defence RA, Can you tell me what AER means in the Field & work unit?

Ray
Hi Ray, Well the Royal Engineers Museum website (www.remuseum.org.uk Corps History page 11) says AER stands for Army Emergency Reserve!

the 80th Infantry is the 80th Infantry (Reserve) Division (UK) or so it says on Wikipedia and at www.petergh.f2s.com/flashes.html, though I still cant determine whether the ship signfies any maritime connection?

The 430th Coast Regiment appearently is the 430th Coast Regiment RA (Orkney) T.A. part of 105 coast Brigade with its HQ at kirkwell ! Except that in other sources it is described as 227 Independent Infantry Brigade Orkney Command ?

The Port Commando RE I cant find any reference to?

So still pretty confused!

Regards Tony
Old 03-10-09, 02:32 PM

Quote:
#5, Port Commando

Ray
Can you tell me which source the blue anchor badge is listed in? find this pretty interesting!

Regards Tony

Last edited by sailorbear; 03-10-09 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-10-09, 02:51 PM

Default Fouled anchor badge

Hi Sailorbear,
In Guido Rosignoli's book 'Army badges & Insignia Since 1945' published in 1973 p119 under the heading 'Garrisons & other formations';

'' The formation sign of the Orkney & Shetland Defences was a red fouled anchor embroidered on dark blue felt. The same anchor, but smaller & on a round background, was adopted after the War by the local TA units, nominally the Orkney & Zetland Battery, 540 Rgt (The Lovat Scouts), RA.''

Hope that helps,
Alan.
Old 03-10-09, 03:10 PM

Hi sailorbear, the significance of the ship of the 80th Div. was because the division had a training and drafting role. The latter function was said to be the reason for the Divisional badge, a liner steaming across the high seas.
From; Formation Badges of WW2, Howard Cole.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 03-10-09, 04:34 PM

Quote:
#5, Port Commando

Ray
AER =Army Emergency reserve

OC14
Old 03-10-09, 08:06 PM

More interesting dialogue. Fantastic.
Now Empire collector would this one That I have on a round background & labeled 430th Coast Regt. RA TA be labeled wrong? My 227th Inf. Bde is on a square background. My Orkney & Shetland is on a lighter blue Square background. Tony the Anchor is listed on a square background in Rosignoli's book. I don't remember where I got the round picture maybe from ebay, couldn't say.
Ray

Last edited by boots and saddles; 03-10-09 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-10-09, 08:39 AM

Quote:
More interesting dialogue. Fantastic.
Now Empire collector would this one That I have on a round background & labeled 430th Coast Regt. RA TA be labeled wrong? My 227th Inf. Bde is on a square background. My Orkney & Shetland is on a lighter blue Square background. Tony the Anchor is listed on a square background in Rosignoli's book. I don't remember where I got the round picture maybe from ebay, couldn't say.
Ray
Ok so now I'm getting really confused! so the first badge - a red anchor on a black rectangle is the 227th infantry Bde?

the other two images of a red anchor within a red circle on a black circle, (which appear very sligtly different from each other)
are the 430th Coast Regt RA? Presumably both are something to do with the Orkneys? So which one was to be used post war by the TA?

The last image is the beach brigade and nothing to do with the previous two formations?

Confused regards Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 227th Indepenent Infantry Brigade.jpg (14.1 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg unidentified1.JPG (16.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg unidetified 2.JPG (13.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg !BZjUjng!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CcEjlLl4lRpBKnS0nf5pQ~~_35.jpg (25.5 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-10-09, 09:28 AM

Interesting side note.....
Red (fouled) Anchor & Circle, on a (lighter ?) Blue background also listed as "RND divisional patch as worn by support troops, notably Artillery units"
Pic shows the 'hooks' quite long & reaching up close to the 'cross bar' here.
From a book reference.....copy page.....title unknown ,to me.
WW1
Cheers !
Steve
Old 04-10-09, 12:46 PM

The printed Red Anchor on pale blue circle edged red is a WW2 Beach Groups sign, not a WW1 RND patch.
Old 04-10-09, 05:41 PM

Yes the printed one I have listed as Beach Group,, The 430th is the round patch, the 227th is the square patch, & according to my list the Orkney & shetland is on a lighter blue background (quite a bit lighter but not a Royal blue) & square. Of course mistakes abound in this field especially where they are so much alike. According to my listings Tony you are not showing an Orkney at all. But I just got my names from other sources ,like ebay sellers etc, who are notorously famous for mis-information. This is as confusing to me as it is to you. Ray

Last edited by boots and saddles; 04-10-09 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-10-09, 08:51 PM

Hi there , further to earlier answers ,
the 264th SCOTS BEACH GROUP was formed in 1945 for the intended invasion of Japan the war ended before they could be employed .
Im not certain the unit even left these shores ? if any one can confirm please do .

The other fouled anchor badge i think may well be RND support troops ,i had a photo of a Machine gun corps unit wearing this sign , there are some ` top flight ` RND collectors on he who can offer more , if you could show better photos that would be great ,also a picture of the back would help to date its constuction , thanks for showing , Nemo.

Last edited by NEMO; 04-10-09 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-10-09, 11:02 PM

These pictures are taken from an old military collectors magazine and state that they are R.N.D , hope this helps ,regards ,Nemo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RND.2.jpg (28.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-10-09, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
These pictures are taken from an old military collectors magazine and state that they are R.N.D , hope this helps ,regards ,Nemo
I can't help with the pictures, that's all I have myself. I do have other signs(pictures) that have been worn by more than one unit. Ray