British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-01-08, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default Size Backed Titles and Formation Patches

The issue of sized or glue back British and Canadian titles and formation patches raises some questions.
  1. When were the size back titles issued? Any authority eg GO, RO, policy documents to back up the issue?
  2. Who manufactured the titles? Is there a list?
  3. What units and formations had size back titles produced for them? Has anyone compiled a list?
  4. When did the issue end? Or when were the titles withdrawn? (This is directed at the UK more than Canadian issue.)
Do any research articles exist on the sequence of issue for cloth titles in WW2? Eg. Which issue preceded... and followed by...
Old 11-01-08, 04:45 PM

Please explain "size backed"?
Old 11-01-08, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Default Size Back

Size back or "glue back" titles and formation patches are made on a single layer of material. The material (usually felt) has the embroidery of the unit sewn through the single layer. The back of the title has a coating (sizeing) or glue spread over the title. The loose ends of the embroidery threads are usually held down by the sizing. This pattern of title appeared late in WW2, and was used into the post war years.
Old 11-01-08, 09:11 PM

Thank you, I have never head of 'size backed' before. I have always thought that the glue backed shoulder designations were the cheap versions introduced along side the better quality embroidered and printed designations authroised in June 1943.

A couple of paste backed Regimental shoulder designations.

Well I am now going to have to re-examine these paste back badges, why I hear you say? I have just picked up a paste back version of the 2nd pattern Anti Aircraft Command formation badge. This 2nd pattern is belived to have been worn during 1945 and onwards to the demise of AA Command.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:27 PM.
Old 25-02-08, 03:51 AM

Default Sizebacks...

Working on a sort of photo registry of all in my possession but it is gonna take some time Bill...will post a few scans soon...
Old 25-02-08, 05:46 AM

Default some examples..

Old 31-05-08, 02:41 PM

Default Starched backing economy pattern cloth titles.

Hello,
I am used to name this variety of cloth titles "Starched backing economy pattern". I do not have any official document to prove my statement but I am quite sure this titles were made from 1943 until 1945. They were worn by British and Canadian armies until after the war and by occupation troops in Germany.
I'll not present all my collection of this variety of titles but three comprehensive cases following:

1) CORNWALL title : The Duke of Corwall's Light Infantry Regiment had by ACI 905 dated 12th June 1943 text of regimental designation as "CORNWALL". This text was changed as "D.C.L.I." on the 9 Septembre 1944 by ACI 1207.
Note "D.C.L.I." text designation exists in "starched backing" variety.

I do not believe they would have produce in 1945 obsolete titles.

2) S.W.B. title : ACI 905 dated 12th June 1943 introduced the text of regimental designation for the South Wales Borederes Regiment as "S.W.B.".
This text was changed by ACI 1593 dated 30 October 1943, the new designation was "SOUTH WALES BORDERERS".

Like the first case, I do not believe obsolete titles would have been produced in 1944-45.

3) ROYAL CORPS of SIGNAL title : Introduced by the same ACI than the two first cases, the text designation became obsolete by ACI 1207 on the 9 Septembre 1944 and changed by "ROYAL SIGNALS".

This case is most interresting as the title presented here as been worn on a BD by a former Signalman of the 12th Army Corps from which I got all the stuff he wore on his BD in 1944-45. This title has been worn in Normandy during the summer 1944 and was removed from his BD later in 1944 to be changed for the new introduced printed pattern "ROYAL SIGNALS".

I add this variety of title have been made in UK. A friend of me bought in army surplus some starched backing titles at Aldershot in the 60's. They were still bound in lot by strings.

A well known and respected American collector and deller thinks this variety of titles was made in Holland in 1945 for the Victory parade. I AM SORRY BUT IT IS ABSOLUTLY FALSE!!!

Obviously I am not the "TRUE" in person and are open to interesting arguments.

Cheers.
J-F
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starched back titles 1.jpg (44.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Starched back titles 2.jpg (55.4 KB, 54 views)
Old 31-05-08, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks J-F. You have reinforced many of the understandings that I have about the size back / starch back titles. At the moment I am wading through hundreds of pages of documents from LAC (Library and Archives Canada) and there is no mention of the ecomomy starch back titles, but there is extensive documentation for the embroidered and printed titles.
The premise that these titles were made in Holland has not been substantiated to date. That idea has many many unanswered questions and inconsistencies. More research is needed to put the facts on record. The information you have posted will add to the argument that the titles were English made.
Old 31-05-08, 05:47 PM

Default Starch backing economy pattern titles

Bill,
I just have realised "Starched" should not be a correct English word but should be correctly named "Starch backing". Sorry for my poor English!

Very interresting investigation about the making of the Canadian titles during the WW2. I would think this variety of titles would have been ordered under Ottawa approve by Canadian authorities in UK, maybe by CFHQ London? Do archives of CFHQ are still in UK or had been transferred to the Canadian National Archives?
J-F
Old 31-05-08, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Hey J-F, The records of CMHQ and the Canadian Army are in Ottawa at the archives. They were brought back after the war. Many of the docs that I have examined are from CMHQ in London England.

Last edited by Bill A; 01-06-08 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-06-08, 09:06 AM

Default British local defence strach backing economy pattern titles

Here a pair of british local defence "strach backing" titles.
I doubt they would have been made outiside UK!
Cheers.
J-F
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0e66_1.JPG (22.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 0f74_1.JPG (23.2 KB, 46 views)
Old 01-06-08, 07:23 PM

Great stuff J-F....I,ve long believed these titles to be British made also,and believe the Dutch theory to be very suspect.I,ve talked to at least 2 people now who support your story of buying these by the bundle in the Aldershot area back in the 60's.
I continue to look for clues and with the help of you,Bill and others I,m positive we can solve this mystery once and for all....excellent work, Cheers,Mike.
Old 19-11-10, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

My apologies John, I was slow getting around to this.
Here is an example of a size back or starch back title. These titles show up around the end of hostilities in 1945. There are a couple of explanations, but to date no concrete documentation has turned up to explain these titles.
These titles are made of felt (as opposed to melton which is woven material), are a single layer, no backing, and have been coated with a glue or sizing. Note the threads that are "stuck" down on the material. The construction is somewhat flimsy, and the titles do not stand up well.
Mike's link shows many more examples.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG.jpg (35.0 KB, 42 views)
Old 19-11-10, 05:53 PM

Default Size backed Titles & Formation Signs

Having looked through the various files at Kew it seems that the main contractors to the War Office were AW Hewetson Ltd and Lewis Falk Ltd. Falk were in Welwyn Garden City. Printed insignia contracts were placed with Calico Printers Association Ltd, St. James Buildings, Oxford Street, Manchester 1. They then sub-contracted work to their associate members I think and were still in business in the late 1950's.

My assumption, not backed by research, is that the cloth used for backing was un-specified by the War Office. The supplier used what was made available to them by the Ministry of Supply.

Stephen.
Old 19-11-10, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Stephen, The Canadian issue canvas were only made by Calico Printers, Broad Oak. They were required to have the cotton backing, as that was part of the manufacturing process that prevented fraying. If the backing was removed or the title cut down, they experienced significant fraying, to the point that the practice was forbidden by RO in the Canadian army.
The starch back pose a significant question. No embroidered titles were authorized for the Canadian army overseas after 1943. There is no documentation to support the acquisition of embroidered titles in the spring summer of 1945.(The acquisition of all earlier Canadian patterns is well documented. In addition, there is documentation for acquisition of melton embroidered titles and some canvas through the summer and fall of 1945, before the Canadian army left the UK.)
Canadian titles were described in detail in tender orders and in submissions for approval. It was indicated that the earlier embroidered titles must have backing. The starch backs do not have any backing except the sizing or glue spread on the back to act as a stiffener. I have one short note indicating that Lewis Falk was offering felt titles, but they were found to "not be substantial enough" to meet the demands of the field. However that correspondence was dated 1942.

Last edited by Bill A; 19-11-10 at 06:13 PM.