British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-01-09, 02:56 PM

Default Wyvern / Wessex Badges

Good afternoon Gentlemen,
Only joined the forum last night and delighted to be of help now so early on in my membership.
The subdued (black on green) badge in the photograph is indeed the subdued version of the yellow/gold on blue showing the mythical beast the Wyvern, symbol of the WW2 43rd Division and currently the 43 (Wessex) Brigade.
The 43 (Wx) Bde headquarters were originally in Exeter (at Wyvern Barracks) but were moved within the last 5 years to Picton Barracks, Bulford. They will move again this year (?) to Tidworth. The Brigade is admincom for all Army units in the SW of England (unless they come under 3 Cdo Bde), and opcom for all TA, and Cadets in the SW. The gent who saw it in a militaria shop in Taunton is probably 'shopping' at an establishment owned by Mr Jim Paul who was an adult instr in Somerset ACF (according to his son!).
The Bde badge is worn on the left arm (below the union flag) with the Wyvern looking forwards. Because of its colouring and open mouth I am afraid I coined the phrase (some years ago) the 'screaming chicken' which appears to have stuck and thankfully not many people remember it was me who started it!! two9546
Old 02-01-09, 03:40 PM

Hello two9546, thanks for the informations and also welcome to the Forum.
Cheers
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 02-01-09, 04:41 PM

Can you please confirm that the modern black on green Wyvern was or is worn by the current 43rd (Wessex) Brigade? The HQ have told me that only the coloured version as below is worn.

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-01-09, 06:02 PM

Default 43 (Wx) Bde Wyverns

Hi again,
The badge you are now displaying (yellow on blue) is the badge all soldiers in 43 Bde wear when doing the more mundane tasks of military life, and are issued. BUT some lead more exciting lives and spend part of their time out on exercise or loose their lives in Afghanistan (like Sjt Chris Reed, 6 Rifles, who was lost yesterday in Garmsir working with the ANA). These subdued badges are not provided at the public's expense, but can readily be purchased at say the militaria shop in The Square, Bulford or opposite Tesco's at Tidworth for a few pounds each. Because they are not supplied the standard/quality sometimes is 'hit and miss' but so far I have not heard of anybody getting into trouble for wearing them, and never heard of one of the Bde Staff Officers (incl the Bde Comd) "throwing a track" because someone is wearing them. See attached photo - yellow/blue one only worn on new combat jacket because the shop ran out of subdued ones and yes, the jackets are mine. Why get issued with subdued union flags, badges of rank etc then wear a colourful aiming mark on your upper left arm. You will find subdued and desert coloured badges now the norm.
two9546
From small camera 012.jpg

PS Not disputing 54Bty's comments as they are correct (re MOD/FCO messengers, etc) but again silver has normally been used for non-military personnel (as per good old MAT Regs).

Last edited by two9546; 02-01-09 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Adding PS/PS attached to wrong subject matter - sorry
Old 02-01-09, 06:56 PM

Thank you for the confirmation of the subdued version being worn, you also mention a desert version, do you have access to any?
Old 03-01-09, 04:03 PM

Default Wessex Bde Wyverns

Sorry if I have mislead you, but at present there will not be any Wyverns in desert hue - all 43 Bde personnel who go to either Iraq, Afghanistan or the Balkans have always gone as individuals or composite companies (like 6 Rifles 'Salamanca Company' have gone to make up numbers with 1 Rifles (the old D&D) who are themselves part of 3 Cdo Brigade).
When you go you are expected to wear the brigade flash of the 'sponsor' unit. My last time in Iraq my wyvern (blue & yellow) was on my dst cbt jkt but was removed when I found I was working in Div HQ and was replaced asap by one of their yellow on blue (forget what it was called) head of a man (c/w crown), body of a lion.
Salamanca Coy are wearing dst or green 3 Cdo Flash on their right shoulders (black dagger on large square).
My son is in 23 Engr Regt and has been issued with a dst 16 Air Aslt Bde flash, as well as maroon/lt blue and subdued versions for his various uniforms.
I will keep a watch out for anyone who 'makes up' a dst wyvern and happy to get one for you.
two9546
Old 04-01-09, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by two9546 View Post
Hi again,
The badge you are now displaying (yellow on blue) is the badge all soldiers in 43 Bde wear when doing the more mundane tasks of military life, and are issued. BUT some lead more exciting lives and spend part of their time out on exercise or loose their lives in Afghanistan (like Sjt Chris Reed, 6 Rifles, who was lost yesterday in Garmsir working with the ANA). These subdued badges are not provided at the public's expense, but can readily be purchased at say the militaria shop in The Square, Bulford or opposite Tesco's at Tidworth for a few pounds each. Because they are not supplied the standard/quality sometimes is 'hit and miss' but so far I have not heard of anybody getting into trouble for wearing them, and never heard of one of the Bde Staff Officers (incl the Bde Comd) "throwing a track" because someone is wearing them. See attached photo - yellow/blue one only worn on new combat jacket because the shop ran out of subdued ones and yes, the jackets are mine. Why get issued with subdued union flags, badges of rank etc then wear a colourful aiming mark on your upper left arm. You will find subdued and desert coloured badges now the norm.
two9546
Attachment 11184

PS Not disputing 54Bty's comments as they are correct (re MOD/FCO messengers, etc) but again silver has normally been used for non-military personnel (as per good old MAT Regs).
Hello all interested,

Here is another modern Wyvern badge I picked up in Salisbury (home of HQ Land for those who are unaware) about 6 years ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43 bde.jpg (52.3 KB, 7 views)