British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-06-09, 04:52 PM

Default Royal Fusiliers Arm Flashes

three different cloth and canvas flashes, all in red/blue, which I guess are 8th, 9th and ? th Royal Fusliliers Arm flashes... but possibily one of them could be a pughree flash? Your opinions, please!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Britis_Fusiliers_Arm_Badge_1.jpg (46.0 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Britis_Fusiliers_Arm_Badge_2.jpg (51.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Britis_Fusiliers_Arm_Badge_3.jpg (59.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Britis_Fusiliers_Arm_Badge_4.jpg (56.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Britis_Fusiliers_Arm_Badge_4_A.jpg (86.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 09-06-09, 06:04 PM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Loupie although I can't help you with identification, I am interested in these patches, They must be Regimental level patches because I got nothing in my formation signs that look anything like these. There is a picture that I do have but with no identy & not really the same as yours,a group of two signs as a matter of fact. here is the picture. Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e93b_1.jpg (11.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-06-09, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots and saddles View Post
Loupie although I can't help you with identification, I am interested in these patches, They must be Regimental level patches because I got nothing in my formation signs that look anything like these. There is a picture that I do have but with no identy & not really the same as yours,a group of two signs as a matter of fact. here is the picture. Ray
hello Ray, yours are a 1st Division Artillery formation sign and a a 6th South African Armoured Division flash, therefore are Divisional insignia, these are suppoed to be at a battalion level, and there are some references in Guido Rosignoli's The Allied Forces in Italy, covering badges and uniforms, in the part related to the 56th London Division... still the diamond shaped one I can't refer to any battalin, nor the rectangular one, since the 9th battalion should have worn a square... maybe Erracht could help, here?
Old 10-06-09, 02:24 AM
Member 2008-2010 Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by loupie1961 View Post
hello Ray, yours are a 1st Division Artillery formation sign and a a 6th South African Armoured Division flash, therefore are Divisional insignia, these are suppoed to be at a battalion level, and there are some references in Guido Rosignoli's The Allied Forces in Italy, covering badges and uniforms, in the part related to the 56th London Division... still the diamond shaped one I can't refer to any battalin, nor the rectangular one, since the 9th battalion should have worn a square... maybe Erracht could help, here?
Thanks Loupie. I would like to hear someone's opinion on your patches, interesting indeed.
Old 10-06-09, 12:30 PM

Could the second one be Sherwood Foresters?
Old 10-06-09, 04:06 PM

Default Royal Fusiliers

Quote:
three different cloth and canvas flashes, all in red/blue, which I guess are 8th, 9th and ? th Royal Fusliliers Arm flashes... but possibily one of them could be a pughree flash? Your opinions, please!
Are you sure these badges are for the Royal Fusiliers, I have looked up Waring and found 5 Royal Tank Regiment, Red (top) over dark blue. John.
Old 10-06-09, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder44 View Post
Are you sure these badges are for the Royal Fusiliers, I have looked up Waring and found 5 Royal Tank Regiment, Red (top) over dark blue. John.
the rectangular badge and the diamond one were sold (and bought!) as RF, the square one as South African Artillery, but I've got my very strong doubts....
Old 11-06-09, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymro View Post
Could the second one be Sherwood Foresters?

I've checked and you're right, this could be the arm badge of the Sherwood Foresters, as a matter of fact!
Old 12-06-09, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder44 View Post

But I guess the 5 RTR sign are the usual two parallel strips, not a square split diagonally?
Old 12-06-09, 09:29 PM

Quote:
But I guess the 5 RTR sign are the usual two parallel strips, not a square split diagonally?
I ment to say , the first badge could be 5 RTR. John.