British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-02-14, 11:02 AM

Hi Sadler32

Much appreciated, picked it up.

John
Old 06-10-17, 07:10 PM

Hi Gents,

Found this while trying to research mine I picked up. Lots of differing opinions here, mine has what looks like a thin solid bar going across to solder the two together. I'd appreciate your opinions, either way!

Cheers all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1540.jpg (81.6 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1542.jpg (56.4 KB, 141 views)
Old 07-10-17, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM View Post
Hi Gents,

Found this while trying to research mine I picked up. Lots of differing opinions here, mine has what looks like a thin solid bar going across to solder the two together. I'd appreciate your opinions, either way!

Cheers all.
The components certainly look to be original. The constuction is interesting, but as these are reputed to have been made up in workshops, I don't see why not. I would certainly keep hold of it.
Old 07-10-17, 09:19 PM

I will add that contemporary images of this badge would appear to be very rare, which is not surprising really.

An earlier thread by Longshanks did show the badge in use http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=27087 but it would seem that the "RND" title is applied to the front of the badge instead of joined to the bottom as all the badges in this thread show.

It would be interesting to see if anyone can come up with some more images of this badge being worn so that types of construction can be compared.
Old 11-10-17, 05:39 AM

Thanks for your thoughts, Nozzer.
Old 12-10-17, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

I like it as the title is a correct one which has had the lugs removed unlike the modern repro. I see no problem with that style of construction as they were not official but converted locally so there is no single sealed pattern.

Alan
Old 26-11-17, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
It would be interesting to see if anyone can come up with some more images of this badge being worn so that types of construction can be compared.
It was a shame that no one could offer up any period images (other than the one in the above link) of this badge being worn
Old 08-01-18, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzer View Post
It was a shame that no one could offer up any period images (other than the one in the above link) of this badge being worn

I have a stunning image of a head and shoulders shot of RND MGC man. Badge is constructed with same technique as the ones shown here i.e. using tads fixed to rear and not superimposed on front as you talk about.

I don't know who has copy right as I found it on web. Its super.
Old 08-01-18, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT View Post
I have a stunning image of a head and shoulders shot of RND MGC man. Badge is constructed with same technique as the ones shown here i.e. using tads fixed to rear and not superimposed on front as you talk about.

I don't know who has copy right as I found it on web. Its super.
Thanks TRT,

It's a shame you can't show it, but I understand.

So, your image shows the RND fixed as with all the examples shown in this thread, yet the image in the link above would appear to be fixed to the front of the badge. Of coarse, that is assuming that Longshanks image is RND and we are not mistaken. All the same, period images seem to be few and far between.
Old 15-03-22, 09:41 PM

Default RND MGC

Thought I’d throw this one which landed today into the mix.

I’m certain it is made from two genuine component parts. The RND shoulder title is I believe an exact match to TRT’s.

The MGC element appears to be a less seen variant with an orphaned jewel or dot below the one in the crown’s central cross. High Wood has a very similar version in this album showing it’s age:

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ictureid=56188

Obviously with a badge of such construction it’s difficult to be 100% certain but for £25 my feelings towards it are more warm and glowing than any urges to send it back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 808805D1-B760-4B6E-A736-876AD2319367.jpg (112.5 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 2FFDE633-8898-4FBE-9DC7-DFA1CF9F6484.jpg (94.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 5CBBB964-AA71-4E9A-9732-A7049FCF6331.jpg (117.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 16-03-22, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

It appears to be to be precisely right for a period modification.