British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 24-10-13, 01:27 PM

Default Devonshire Regiment J.R.Gaunt London Ashtray

I found this at Topsham Antique's Market this morning.

The badge in the centre is the same size as a standard Devonshire badge so I'm presuming its made using Gaunt's cap badge die's.

The Edwardian Gaunt catalogue shows they were making this type of accessory from a very early date.

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=38626

But its made me ask a couple of questions.

Firstly is this style of "rose" device on the bottom of the circle an indication of Gaunt manufacture on all Devonshire Regiment badges? Perhaps not by coincidence a lot of the modern fake badges have this style of "rose" and could be made from reused Gaunt dies?

Secondly could badges cut out from souvenir items of this type explain some of the "wrong" brass versions of white metal badges which turn up today?

Also I notice it has the scroll ends behind the castle which are normally lost as part of the voiding process.

Rob

Old 24-10-13, 03:36 PM

Cool Gaunt badge plaques

Rob, I have three of these, Royal Scots Greys, 1st Dragoons with the eagle on plinth and an ordinary Essex badge with the stamping below "8th (cyclist) Battn. 1908-1920".

This as we all know is incorrect as they were Essex and Suffolk Cyclists from 1908 - 1911. They only became the 8th Btn in 1911 when the Essex and Suffolk Cyclists expanded into the 6th Suffolk and 8th Essex Btns.

Why Gaunt got this wrong is strange, regarding some of the "economy badges" that could have been made from these plaques, yes it's possible.

Rob
Old 30-10-13, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the reply Rob, Is it possible that a former member of the Essex & Suffolk Cyclist Bn had the title engraved at a later date than the manufacture of your ashtray?

Rob
Old 21-10-17, 07:20 AM

Afternoon from Australia.
I have just collected(bought) one of the similar ashtrays you have been talking about.
My family has a long connection with the Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons)
I am going to attempt to add photos of the ash tray just acquired.
Would love any information about the date and usage(Sgts Mess?)you know or can guess at with reasonable certainty.
We recently bought a solid silver cheroot case marking their move from Edinburgh to Aldershot in 1885. Hardly anyone bid against us as no one realised the importance of the names on the case. Can tell you about that if its of interest.
As an aside my grand uncle was the last man KIA from the Greys in the great war.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ashtray 4.jpg (22.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ashtray 1.jpg (27.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg ashtray 2.jpg (32.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ashtray 3.jpg (24.7 KB, 6 views)