British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-06-17, 08:18 AM

Default Any idea which regiment this collar badge relates to

Any idea which regiment this collar badge relates to ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _241.jpg (97.9 KB, 39 views)
Old 22-06-17, 09:11 AM

I was informed that these were worn on the shoulder strap by members of the Royal Malta Artillery.

Marc
Old 22-06-17, 09:27 PM

Now on ebay:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-ROYAL-...4AAOSwgv5ZS47L

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 23-06-17, 04:49 AM

Definitely a Malta badge, but there used to be (perhaps still is?) an original Boer War period photograph in the Brisbane MHS museum which clearly showed an Australian padre wearing these collar badges, no doubt unoficially. Perhaps a Brisbane local could confirm this.
Old 23-06-17, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
Definitely a Malta badge, but there used to be (perhaps still is?) an original Boer War period photograph in the Brisbane MHS museum which clearly showed an Australian padre wearing these collar badges, no doubt unoficially. Perhaps a Brisbane local could confirm this.
And if confirmed, these will suddenly appear as "extemely rare Boer War padres collar badge..." at 10x the price!!!
Old 24-06-17, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
I was informed that these were worn on the shoulder strap by members of the Royal Malta Artillery.

Marc
Thanks Marc , appreciate the response . Being chastised for asking a question
And using information Is a little unfriendly. What is the difference between this
And a reference book. Seems anyone who sells on eBay and gleans information
Beforehand is deemed a pariah on this forum. I asked for help once before and
Declared my intentions to use the info for eBay and received no response .

Oh and the insinuation by members that this will be used to inflate a price is
Ridiculous , I have run a legitimate eBay business for years.
Old 24-06-17, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
What is the difference between this
And a reference book.
The difference, Trooper, is that we like to think of ourselves as a group of friends who give freely of our knowledge. It's not really a big thing but people do like to know if information is sought for private or commercial purposes.

I suppose it's fair to say that if people join a club they follow the rules??
Old 24-06-17, 10:18 AM

Trooper,

I think we are all happy in identifying items if posters just say " I will be selling the Item" or something similar, even better if the item is offered on the Forum first before elsewhere.

By the way this badge is post 1926 and not WW1 :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW1-THE-KI...kAAOSwi8VZRAmA

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 24-06-17, 11:55 AM

Hello Trooper

In your post 6 above you asked "What is the difference between this and a reference book?". Quite simply, with a reference book you have to do all the work, with the Forum someone else does all the work for you.

Surely you can see why some members are reluctant to do all the work just so an ebay (or other) seller can enhance the value of an otherwise 'unknown' item.

As Eddie said, join a club and follow the rules and the Forum rules are quite clear in this respect "If you plan on using the Forum membership to identify, date, or collect information to enhance the desirability of an item that you intend to sell, then please say so in your first post on the subject". It's then clear to all members what the situation is and it's up to them to volunteer information if they so desire.

Roger
Old 24-06-17, 12:09 PM

Yes , I take the point . I do try to identify the badges I have myself from my own reference , in this case I asked about one badge out of hundreds so didn't think I was taking advantage.

Apologies if it caused offence to anyone .

James
Old 24-06-17, 01:11 PM

Actually, this is (was) a shoulder badge worn by Royal Malta Artillery and harking back to Victorian period. It survived into the 20th century and I recall them being worn by boy soldiers of the RMA in the 60s.

GTB
Old 24-06-17, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTB View Post
Actually, this is (was) a shoulder badge worn by Royal Malta Artillery and harking back to Victorian period. It survived into the 20th century and I recall them being worn by boy soldiers of the RMA in the 60s.

GTB
Thank you for your help
Old 25-06-17, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper View Post
Oh and the insinuation by members that this will be used to inflate a price is
Ridiculous , I have run a legitimate eBay business for years.
Hello Trooper
Sorry if my tongue-in-cheek jab at the price being inflated was seemed to be aimed at you, not my intention at all, so apologies. It was just meant to be a typical jab at sellers generally who use misleading info to try and inflate the price of whatever they're selling. Definitely not aimed as a personal dig.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 29-06-17, 07:54 AM

No problem Alex, it always grates with me about EBay comments and how the site is made out to be an a place full of rogues, there are many bona fide sellers on Ebay that work hard to build a good reputation. I grant you there are also many not so, along with all selling avenues whether online or not. I appreciate your comment. Thank you.
Old 29-06-17, 07:58 AM

No problem Alex, it always grates with me about EBay comments and how the site is made out to be a place full of rogues, there are many bona fide sellers on Ebay that work hard to build a good reputation. I grant you there are also many not so, along with all selling avenues whether online or not. I appreciate your comment. Thank you.