British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Civilian Services: Police, Prison Service, Fire Brigade, Merchant Navy, etc.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-04-17, 09:03 AM

Default Metropolitan Police Dockyard Divisions

I have recently required a photograph of a member of the Metropolitan Police Dockyard Division, possibly stationed at Devonport as that is where the picture came from.

Unlike most pictures of Metropolitan Police officers serving in the Royal Dockyards he is not wearing a helmet with the usual Dockyard Division helmet plate. Instead he is wearing a cap with a distinctive cap badge. I am familiar with the various versions of the helmet plate but I have never seen this cap badge before. It is obviously related to the helmet plate in as much as it has a VQC and the usual sloping anchor.

The second image shows a close-up of his collar which shows the normal arrangement of numbers/anchor/ crown.

The third image shows a close-up of the cap and badge.

Can anyone tell me why this man would be wearing this cap instead of the more usual helmet? And can anyone tell me anything more about the cap badge or provide a better image of one? What was the significance of this badge?

Many thanks for any information anyone can provide.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dockyard Division.jpg (49.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Collar.jpg (23.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Cap and badge.jpg (31.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 07-04-17, 09:21 AM

Not my area of interest, but would the gold piping on his cap donate an officer grade? which is why no helmet is worn?? this being his sole mark of rank.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 07-04-17, 10:04 AM

Hi Mike

When I first saw the cap I thought it was for an officer too, but the combination of number/anchor/crown worn on the collar was only worn by constables and sergeants. No officer would have worn a collar number. Also I have looked at numerous pictures of officer grade members of the Metropolitan Police from the late-19th century and have not found one wearing a similar cap with such a distinctive peak.

Pete
Old 07-04-17, 10:44 AM

I think I have now been provided with the answer to my query! This man could well be a member of one of the Met. Police Dockyard Bands. These played a very important part in the life of all the Royal Dockyards and often played at the launching of ships.

I had not realised that headgear and cap badges were not provided by the Metropolitan Police but were provided from funds raised by the band members themselves. I can see why this man chose to be photographed in his elegant band headgear rather than his helmet!

Pete
Old 07-04-17, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzman View Post
I think I have now been provided with the answer to my query! This man could well be a member of one of the Met. Police Dockyard Bands. These played a very important part in the life of all the Royal Dockyards and often played at the launching of ships.

I had not realised that headgear and cap badges were not provided by the Metropolitan Police but were provided from funds raised by the band members themselves. I can see why this man chose to be photographed in his elegant band headgear rather than his helmet!

Pete
Pete,

I'm also a member of this forum!

Dave Wilkinson.
Old 07-04-17, 02:34 PM

Default Met Dockyard Police Band

Please find attached image of Met Dockyard Police band, Devonport, 1920.
Notice the peaked caps although a later date. Hope this will be of interest.
Harry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1920.jpg (88.9 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-04-17, 06:27 AM

Hello Dave,

I thought you might be a member here too! I was trying to cast my net as wide as possible in the hope that I might get the answer I needed. And I was right - you solved my problem for me! Once again, many thanks - your information and help was much appreciated.

Pete
Old 09-04-17, 03:22 PM

Purely by chance I was today checking through the online collections of the National Maritime Museum when I came across the badge shown below. This matches the one shown on my constable's cap with the exception that the anchor slopes the other way. I did wonder if the original photograph had been reversed but when I tried flipping the image although the cap badge came out the right way his collar numbers were back to front. So I guess that the photograph is correct!

The NMM have no information at all on the badge and don't know who it was produced for. I have also included the original image for comparison.

Dave, I have also sent this message to the other web site!

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cap and badge.jpg (31.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg large.jpg (82.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 09-04-17, 08:46 PM

Pete,

That is interesting! The badge on your man's cap looks as if it is in bullion wire. I'd be happier if the NMM badge was in white metal as opposed to brass/gilt. I say that because if it was in white metal it would match the white metal buttons on the tunic. The Metpol. always wore white metal badges pre. 1935 ish apart from the blacked over helmet plates. The badge illustrated would be more likely to be worn by the RN (or similar) rather than police. What do you think?

Dave.
Old 09-04-17, 09:38 PM

Default Not Sure

I'm not convinced that they are the same badge, even if flipped over. On the photograph of the constables cap there are two stalks protruding from the bottom of the wreath in the centre which just don't seem as prominent on the cap badge shown, no mater how I look at it.
Old 10-04-17, 11:06 AM

I actually agree with your comments about the badge. I would have been happier to see it in white metal and they do not match completely. But it is still an amazing coincidence that two such similar badges existed. Perhaps when choosing the design of their badge the bandsmen were inspired by this design? I'll guess we will never know.

Pete