British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > Arab Nations

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-10-16, 09:36 PM

Default Oman Stuff

I got this Oman badges, miniatures, buttons and rank slides from eBay. I may have lost a lot or two, but the 2 beret/agal badges are a mystery to me... Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks a lot.

E*
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oman-1.jpg (47.1 KB, 152 views)
Old 05-10-16, 03:58 AM

Hello,

the upper bugle one is for the 'Frontier Force", the other (gazelles head) is the second version of the Signals, the first was a sole jambiya (dagger) atop a scroll.

Clay
Old 05-10-16, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatdog View Post
Hello,

the upper bugle one is for the 'Frontier Force", the other (gazelles head) is the second version of the Signals, the first was a sole jambiya (dagger) atop a scroll.

Clay
Thanks a lot!!!

E*
Old 05-10-16, 01:44 PM

One more questions,

are the 2 badges for berets, agal/shemagh or any other kind of headdress?

And if they are for berets, the berets colours should be?

Thanks again.

E*
Old 05-10-16, 02:12 PM

The two badges date from c 1978 - 1986. During that period Frontier Force wore khaki berets and the Signals Regiment wore light blue. The badges would also have been worn on the officers dark green peaked caps (which very rarely made an appearance).

In the very earliest years of SAF some units wore a red and white or blue and white shamagh with a black agyl and the generic sultanic emblem badge in silver for officers and brass for ORs.

At the period in question the shamagh was black on green worn turban style with no agyl.

Eddie
Old 05-10-16, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post
The two badges date from c 1978 - 1986. During that period Frontier Force wore khaki berets and the Signals Regiment wore light blue. The badges would also have been worn on the officers dark green peaked caps (which very rarely made an appearance).

In the very earliest years of SAF some units wore a red and white or blue and white shamagh with a black agyl and the generic sultanic emblem badge in silver for officers and brass for ORs.

At the period in question the shamagh was black on green worn turban style with no agyl.

Eddie
Thanks a lot Eddie.

Do you have any idea of a possible identity of the British Officer who previously owned those items? I'll try to contact the eBay seller, but I am not sure that he'll be able to answer.

Anyway, the combination of Borneo+Malay Peninsula on the GSM, plus the Omani & Malay medals is common? Or based on that combination, the rank of major and the service in Signals/Frontier Force we can track down the identity of the officer?

Thanks a lot!

E*
Old 05-10-16, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Parks View Post

Eddie
In the same period HQ SOLF wore the generic badge in the red beret (RMP red, that is). And Muscat Regt wore a rather strange form of Tam O'Shanter.
Old 05-10-16, 05:51 PM

Default Oman - Sultan's Armed Forces - Tactical Signs - Vehicles

I came across this instruction dated c 1978 while looking for details of SOLF beret badges. Posted since the information is unlikely to have been recorded anywhere else this side of the Sultanate. I never understood why the Southern Oman Regiment was invariably referred to in Oman as "KJ" ( the expansion being Kateeba Janoobiya (or equivalent), meaning Southern Regiment). Does anyone know? Mike
Oman_Vehicle Markings_c1978.01.jpgOman_Vehicle Markings_c1978.02.jpgOman_Vehicle Markings_c1978.03.jpg
Old 05-10-16, 06:08 PM

Thanks a lot Mike for the invaluable informations...

E*
Old 05-10-16, 06:44 PM

KJ is used for the Southern Regiment because the Signal Regiment, already use SR.

Marc
Old 20-07-17, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
I came across this instruction dated c 1978 while looking for details of SOLF beret badges. Posted since the information is unlikely to have been recorded anywhere else this side of the Sultanate. I never understood why the Southern Oman Regiment was invariably referred to in Oman as "KJ" ( the expansion being Kateeba Janoobiya (or equivalent), meaning Southern Regiment). Does anyone know? Mike
Attachment 157300Attachment 157301Attachment 157302
Hi Mike
do you have a similar information about present badges respectively beret colors. I'm asking this because I saw so many different beret colors and badged during my last presentation at RAO. Most of them had crossed riffles on red or red/withe background. I would be very helpful to me to know in advance with whom I had to spend my time in future.

Thx
Old 20-07-17, 11:52 AM

Hi all Omani knowing experts

During my last presentation at RAO I saw a lot of different weapon branches (colors of berets) respectively lot of different badges (e.g. crossed riffles on red or red/white and so on background)
Is somebody here who knows the colors and or badges?

I want to know this in advance for my next meeting there.

Thx
Leo
Old 21-07-17, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slechner View Post
Hi all Omani knowing experts

During my last presentation at RAO I saw a lot of different weapon branches (colors of berets) respectively lot of different badges (e.g. crossed riffles on red or red/white and so on background)
Is somebody here who knows the colors and or badges?

I want to know this in advance for my next meeting there.

Thx
Leo
There should only be one beret badge worn by the RAO, but there are a few different sleeve badges.

Do you only deal with Officers?

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 22-07-17 at 09:44 AM.
Old 24-07-17, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
There should only be one beret badge worn by the RAO, but there are a few different sleeve badges.

Do you only deal with Officers?

Marc
Hi, are you sure? As I wrote I saw at least 8 different beret colors as well 8 different badges at their upper arm.

Officers only? Mostly!
Old 24-07-17, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slechner View Post
Hi, are you sure? As I wrote I saw at least 8 different beret colors as well 8 different badges at their upper arm.

Officers only? Mostly!
There are different colours of the beret, but only one design of badge for the RAO (the RAFO & RNO have their own). The coloured sleeve badges are the ones that will identify which Unit the wearer belongs.

Marc
(PM sent)