British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-02-16, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Tiptaft or Gaunt are possibilities.
Old 15-02-16, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis View Post
This is the enamel badge I have. It is marked on the back but I cant make out the name. ***..B'HAM ?

Very interesting, when I first saw it the picture it was a crudely made sweat heart badge made from a cap badge but when I looked again the head is facing the wrong way.
Is that a collar badge with a small pin back? Hard to get a gauge of dementions from the picture.
Old 15-02-16, 10:20 PM

33mm high. Enamel is deep & shiney, looks dull on photo.
Rich
Old 15-02-16, 10:24 PM

Had a look under my power loupe..its Tiptaft.
Old 22-02-16, 10:11 AM

Do you think this is a sweetheart made from a collar dog die? Does anyone have a Tiptaft marked example of a collar dog. The ones in post #4 dont appear to be marked but are the same type with the Canada legend added (1914 ish?)
Richard
Old 22-02-16, 11:55 AM

It is more than likely a modified collar.
Old 22-02-16, 02:13 PM

Thats what I mean. Do you think Tiptaft have taken one of their production collar dog pressings and made some of these enameled versions out of them ? This seems to have been made like this rather than being a conversion of an existing badge.
Richard
Old 22-02-16, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

It may also have been another company that purchased the Tiptaft badges and converted them. Many of these makers sold badges to the public.
Old 22-02-16, 04:31 PM

Sorry, should have clarified better. In my opinion your example is a collar badge that some one bought used or a company bought from the original manufacturer.

I highly doubt TipTaft did the final work of adding the color. More likely a small operation. There is very little attention to detail compared to some of the other sweet heart badges I have seen that are quite stunning.

Again just my opinion.

Does anyone know if back in the day (1914-1945) was there companies or jewlers around that offered this service as one off jobs? ie, a soldier or girlfriend/wife brought in a cap badge and the shop "jazzed" it up for them and added a pin back.

I see so many 48th sweet heat badges, all different and differing degrees of quality work. I am starting to think this is how a lot of them were done.
Old 26-03-16, 06:34 PM

Default Updated information to the first two pages.

I have added a few more pictures and information to my original work over the last few months for those that are interested.
Old 15-07-16, 05:24 PM

Default 48th Highlanders Supply Issue Badge

Attached image is from a DND website which shows the supply issue badge for the 48th Highlanders, NSN 8455-20-007-3685. The NSN was catalogued 7 January 2013. It has the garter design with smooth 48.

It is different than the modern "garter" style badges shown in earlier posts to this thread, which I now assume are unit issue badges.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NSN 8455-20-007-3685, 48th Highlanders Cap Badge.jpg (20.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 15-07-16, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks JamesAA. The badge is significantly different from the earlier pattern buckle badge.
At one point the 48th badges were slider attachments. Hopefully the new issue has returned to lugs?
Old 27-07-16, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Thanks JamesAA. The badge is significantly different from the earlier pattern buckle badge.
At one point the 48th badges were slider attachments. Hopefully the new issue has returned to lugs?
Yes I think is has lugs.

From the NSN description: Attachment Method - Post and Cotter Pin.

Jim
Old 07-04-17, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48th View Post
I picked this up a few years ago but I am not sure what it was used for. It is very heavy, Can anyone help me out with identifying the use for this item?
Could it possibly serve the same use as a "table medal"? In such case, it would be a presentation piece.
GTB
Old 07-04-17, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

A point of information. When new badges are requested through the system, either a sealed sample would be used to guide the production or a new sample would be requested and approved. That would then guide production. There is no "permanent" sealed pattern to guide procurements. This leads to changes in the approved issue badges.