British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Unit Colour Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-12-16, 06:41 PM

Default Australian War Memorial Downloads

This may have been mentioned on here before but if not its worth a look.

The Australian War Memorial has been making a lot of their archive available online, myself and a few friends have been immersed in the WW2 vehicle records and its been an inspiration.

But I have just spotted this file, click on the grey PDF box to view or save the file.

Rob

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/RCDIG1070238/
Old 15-01-17, 08:37 AM

Rob,
These are the charts that appear in vol.1 of the WW2 official history, To Benghazi. Note that the illustrations for the 2/28th and 2/43rd Bns are incorrect; the bottom colours should be light blue in both. Also, the vehicle signs are strictly that and were never worn on uniforms. The frequently encountered cloth versions of these are fakes.
Old 15-01-17, 09:29 AM

Hi Lettman

I assumed this chart was a period document but perhaps I was wrong?

Either way the Australian War Memorial is an excellent resource and I thank them for making so much available free even though it contains errors.

Rob
Old 15-01-17, 10:33 AM

Hi Rob,
I have no information re the date of the charts. Perhaps Keith will be able to tell us more. But it is good to see the AWM opening up its archives more -- a refreshing change from the rather tight-fisted policies of a few years ago.
Old 15-01-17, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
Hi Rob,
I have no information re the date of the charts. Perhaps Keith will be able to tell us more. But it is good to see the AWM opening up its archives more -- a refreshing change from the rather tight-fisted policies of a few years ago.
"To Benghazi", the volume of the Official History from which the illustrations were taken was first published in 1952. The artist, Hugh W Groser, was a well known and respected artist in Australia. Some of his landscapes can be found online. Mike

Last edited by Mike Jackson; 15-01-17 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 16-01-17, 07:25 AM

I think it was the later UQP reprint editions that had the dark blue errors for 2/28 and 2/43. My recollection is from photocopies of the original edition is that the 2/28 at least was correct at light blue.

It was in fact this set of plates that started my whole colour patch odessy off - mostly because of all the units that were referenced in the official histories that did not appear in the charts. I was 15 at the time, I didn't realise where that interest would take me over the next 25 years!
Old 16-01-17, 10:05 PM

Both 2/28th and 2/43rd Bns are incorrect in the 1952 original edition, and weren't even put right in the 1961 (so-called corrected) edition.