British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-12-16, 05:34 AM

Default Military Funerals

Hello all,
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to ask this question. But here goes anyway. In Feb/Mar 1986 in Port Elizabeth there was I gather a military funeral awarded to Edwin Gladstone Britz of the permanent force. I'm trying to track down any information in relation to this. I assume it was held in PE.
According to a reliable source:

..."it was the biggest funeral I have seen for an ordinary person"

Any help or direction elsewhere would be very welcome.
Tony
Old 27-12-16, 05:59 PM

Hi Tony

If nobody on the forum can help, I would suggest contacting one of the local units and asking for suggestions, assuming it would not bankrupt you from your neck of the woods.

The SA Army website contains contact details for the area and I have found in the past that the staff of the Army Support Base (ASB Port Elizabeth) were very helpful, although not always well informed. You can find the details at:http://www.army.mil.za/contactus/EasternCape.htm

If that does not work, try PAG - one of the older members might remember something and the reserves are often much more keen to help.

All the best
Craig