British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Royal Canadian Navy > 1968 post unification: CAF(N)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-12-10, 11:13 PM

Default Clearance Diver Insignia

Hi all, there's not much activity on this part of the forum so I thought I post a couple of badges of a naval focus. I assume that these qualifications were open to any element you were a member of. What I find interesting is the sizes of the insignia relative to the type of uniform. Perhaps a forum member can briefly explain what type of dress each version was intended for.

Here is the insignia for a clearance diver.

Regards,

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diver.jpg (97.1 KB, 68 views)
Old 20-12-10, 12:03 AM

Clearance Diver is an actual trade in the CF, not simply a qualification like Ships Diver.
I believe it used to be remuster only.
Cloth badge - CFs/DEU, Work Dress.
Large Metal Badge - Short sleeve shirt.
I don't know about the small metal badge, possibly a mufti badge/lapel pin.

The link shows the Clearance Diver hazardous skill badge being worn on the DEU with the Clearance Diver Trade badges on the collars.
http://www.navy.forces.gc.ca/cms_ima...vers_award.jpg

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 20-12-10 at 01:10 AM.
Old 20-12-10, 02:29 AM

Thanks Phil, attached are a couple more of the small versions of these wings. I believe they are the Clearance diver, SAR tech and submariner. Maybe they are for mess dress? They are quite attractive and I'm sure they would make a great, inexpensive group of wings to collect. The next question is how many are there to collect?

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Navywings.jpg (94.3 KB, 50 views)
Old 20-12-10, 04:33 AM

Default Hazardous Skill Badges

Those badges look like the smaller versions that are worn on DEUs when a person has qualifications for more than one hazardous skill.
Old 20-12-10, 02:35 PM

Thanks Ed, that makes sense.

G
Old 20-12-10, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Those badges look like the smaller versions that are worn on DEUs when a person has qualifications for more than one hazardous skill.
Ed,

Do you know if all Hazardous Skill Badges are made in small metal versions for dual/multiple qualifications?
It used to be that the Parachutist badge was made in a small metal version and I have seen people wearing the standard size metal Frogman and EOD badges on CF/DEU.

Phil
Old 20-12-10, 03:43 PM

Default Small Metal Hazardous Skill Badges

As Phil said, the small Parachutist badge is quite common; whether or not the other badges have been manufactured, is still to be confirmed. The examples you have looks like it, but that is still just a guesstimate at this time.
Old 09-03-11, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregN View Post
Thanks Phil, attached are a couple more of the small versions of these wings. I believe they are the Clearance diver, SAR tech and submariner. Maybe they are for mess dress? They are quite attractive and I'm sure they would make a great, inexpensive group of wings to collect. The next question is how many are there to collect?

Greg
The small metal ones are for mess dress, just like the miniature medals.
Old 09-03-11, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt(NL) Lawton View Post
The small metal ones are for mess dress, just like the miniature medals.
I was just reviewing the CF Dress Istructions and I think the Navy would wear cloth hazardous skill badges on the left sleeve of the mess dress.

Phil
Old 24-10-12, 06:21 AM

Smile

Although my service was Air Force, my unit was under "MarCom" (Maritime Command).
All hazardous duty badges are worn above the left breast pocket and are available in:
Gold wire for Officers on Dress uniforms
Gold wire miniature for Mess Dress
Silk Embroidered for Enlisted Ranks
Metal for wear on shirts.
I THINK they are all, now avaible in 2 subdued versions for the Combat Uniform and Work Dress. (I capitalized "Think" as I am not 100% certain of that.)

Hoe this clarifies things.
Old 24-10-12, 09:29 AM

Default Harzardous Skill Badges

The Hazardous Skill Badges were manufactured for the Garrison Dress uniform that was worn in the late 1980s and into the mid-1990s. These badges were not worn on the OG107 Combat Uniform and they are not worn on the CADPAT uniform.

Some of these badges were authorized for wear on the camouflaged Parachute Smock by the various sub-units of the SSF. Most of these badges were provided by the unit at the member's expense and could be purchased at a kit shop.

I am not sure if these badges worn on the current RCN Naval Combat Uniform.

Of course the whole range in various sizes have been authorized for wear on the CF and DEU uniforms for some time.