British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-03-15, 08:06 PM

Default WW2 SAAF Armourers

Hi All

I got permission from Alan Taylor, SAAF Museum to publish this interesting pic/document here, interesting reading.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAAF AIR MECHANIC BADGE.jpg (59.6 KB, 63 views)
Old 13-03-15, 02:27 AM

I have a thread that I mistakenly began in the British/RFC and RAF section, asking for assistance in identifying one of the badges shown on your document -- the one on the left. See the thread titled "Assistance in identifying gunner/bomb aimer badge." If a Forum administrator could move my thread to its proper place in the South Africa/Air force section, I'd appreciate it.

Regards,
Donovan
Old 13-03-15, 04:32 AM

Hi Brian,
There was a publication produced a few years ago on the history of Youngsfield in Cape Town where 10 AA was based. During WWII the britsh build a training school for AA across the railway line from Youngsfield in Ottery that become an industrial school for boys post war.
The artillery and airforce chaps were trained here by Royal Artilley instructors.
On page 22 of the book is a picture of the RA instructors and all the NCO instructors are wearing the gun/bomb badge below there rank badges.

I wonder then whether these badges were uniquelly South African or initially came over with the RA instructors?

Steven
Old 13-03-15, 07:35 AM

It's interesting to see that armourers in SA were qualified to wear the hammer and Pincers on completion of their course , in the British system this tradesman was not qualified to wear it as a 3rd Class but was when he was a 2nd class tradesman.
Old 20-03-15, 05:40 AM

That Armourer Instructors badge must be as rare as rocking horse p**!
Love to get my hands on one.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 21-03-15, 12:20 PM
Banned

I was offered one and turned it down as I thought it was connected to the similar aircrew badge of 1937. I had one of those but let it go as I only collect 1939 - 45. The Armourers badge instead went on ebay a few months ago.