British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-04-12, 06:40 PM

Default WW2 31 Squadron Badge

Hi Guys

Found this picture whilst going through some family pictures. This guy was a mate of my late father in law, who was also ground staff SAAF WW2. Father in law was with 7th Wing SAAF.

This is the first time I have seen a picture of a SAAF chap wearing the so-called "Squadron Badges" although I have a diary in which the chap states "received squadron badge today"!

31 Squadron's badge was a flying owl holding a bomb in his claws, 2 searchlights in background and 2 dice (dice on left showing a 3 and dice on right showing a 1 thus representing the squadrons number 31) are between the wings of the owl. Sorry much clearer in original picture using a magnifying glass.

Hope you all enjoy, picture was one of those coloured in versions before colour photography was common place.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAAF 31 SQUADRON 1.jpg (19.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg SAAF 31 SQUADRON 2.jpg (93.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 31 squad.jpg (29.8 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Brian Conyngham; 12-04-12 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-04-12, 08:11 PM

Hi Brian
Very interesting, never seen that before, never seen that badge before either.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 12-04-12, 09:52 PM

very interesting. was unaware these badges existed, thankyou.
Old 18-04-12, 11:55 AM

Hi Brian

That was the same squadron my Grans brother was in. I have posted pics of him in other posts, he was an AG. I also have the same pin. They flew marauders, and most of the squadron was lost (incl my family member) in the Italian alps, during foul weather dropping relief supplies to the partisans there. I also got a piece of his wreckage which was framed and presented to my Gran at a memorial a couple of years back. I am sure at times like that you become grateful you are ground crew and not involved with flying.

Nice pics by the way!!

Cheers

Jimmy
Old 20-04-12, 11:55 AM

Jimmy

Is that where your interest in the SAAF comes from?

Brian
Old 09-06-13, 12:17 PM

Default 31 Squadron

Hello "The Good Dudes".

Would be very interseted in name of your family member who was lost and a link to the posts where the pictures are.

And for information - the aircraft were Liberators Mlk VI to the RAF but originally B24H and upwards from America.

Paul
Old 11-06-13, 01:29 PM

Default 31 Squadron Badge

My late father was an RAF(VR) Air Gunner attached 34 Squadron SAAF originally and then 31 Squadron - completed 43 ops inc Ploesti (by night), Danube mining, Warsaw and Yugoslav supply drops

He used to recount a tale that he was involved in a 'Chinese Parliament' that settled the design of the 31 Squadron badge

I;ve just purchased on on ebay here in UK

For info when 31 Squadron was reformed as a Helicopter Squadron they had to change the badge design allegedly due to 'religious pressure' to drop the dice!!!! which had been included originally as an allegory(?) to Dicing with Death!!!

PZULBA _ Out of Africa (Retired)