British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-02-18, 10:06 AM

Default Recomendations for books to spot fakes

You guys have a wealth of experience and its great to be part of this forum . Can any of you recommend good reading material to help with spotting forgeries ? i've learnt so much just browsing this website. I currently have British Army cap badges of the first world war and MGC First World War flashes and badges . Neither show the all important back of the badges though are still very useful . I went through ebay and couldn't find a badge I wasn't convinced was a fake .
I Just ordered badges of the british army 1820 to present. Can anyone recommend any books for me (cloth badges aswell) on the first world war ? Any help gratefully received , Warren.

PS Anyone seen Arnhem Jims page on RNDMGC Badges ? very useful.
http://arnhemjim.blogspot.co.uk/2011...badges_28.html
Old 13-02-18, 06:56 PM

Smile Spotting fakes

I think that all forum members will agree with me that there is no shortcut to spotting fake badges, the closest I can say is the Late Laurie Archer produced a leaflet on fake Cavalry badges which as far as I know reside with the few people who bothered to correspond with Laurie and took the trouble to buy the leaflet.

Arnhem Jim has done some superb work regarding Royal Naval Division badges fakes and originals, however, experience is the greatest IMO way of spotting fakes and yes, everyone gets caught out at sometime, I know . . !

Rob
Old 13-02-18, 10:10 PM

Here's links to the forum's bibliography sections:
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/books/bibliography.htm
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/boo...liography2.htm

Rgds, Thomas
Old 14-02-18, 10:46 AM

Excellent , thanks
Old 14-02-18, 01:41 PM

I have found in the nearly 10 years () I have been on the forum, is that the best way to learn about fakes is to follow the comments and advice of the many members here who are willing to share. Over the years I think most of the more common British badges have had a discussion over a questionable example so you can probably find lots of info here. I have quite a few reference books but none of them really cover the nitty-gritty of identifying fakes, however useful they might be.
When in doubt, ask the forum!
Cheers,
Alex
Old 14-02-18, 02:37 PM

Good advice Alex , this I have been doing .