British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-01-18, 08:53 PM

Question South Staffords embroidered titles

I am currrently going through my badges and have found two cloth titles to the South Staffordshire Regt.

Both badges I have had for years, but there is a difference in colour and format between them.

Thoughts and ideas welcome.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010893.jpg (35.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg P1010895.jpg (50.7 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Sonofacqms; 03-02-18 at 09:09 PM.
Old 29-01-18, 01:47 AM

Default South Staffs titles

Rob,

I would suggest that they were made by different manufacturers, at different dates, and have been treated differently (as regards sunlight cleaning etc.) during their lifetime.

31.01.50. Army Order 8/1950: Grant of Honorary Distinctions- His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve the award of the special distinction detailed below to the following units which formed part of the 1st Air Landing Brigade, 1st Airborne Division, to commemorate the part played by them in the invasion of Sicily on the night 9th/10th July 1943: the first occasion on which British gliderborne troops took part in a major tactical operation.
9th Airborne Squadron, RE- A commemorative parchment.
1st Bn, The Border Regt }
2nd Bn, The South Staffordshire} All ranks to wear an embroidered glider
Regt badge at the top of the sleeve of No1
Dress and battle-dress.
1st Glider Pilot Regiment }

In 1950 an order for 4000 pairs was placed with AW Hewetson for delivery in 1951, but other than that I cannot tell you much more.

Stephen.
Old 29-01-18, 06:20 AM

Excellent detail. Many thanks. Both this title and the related title for the Glider Pilot Regiment feature in the Third Edition of Badges on Battledress (Howard Cole) 1953. I recall seeing the Staffords title being worn by some visitors to the Oswestry Garrison in 1960. Mike
Old 29-01-18, 07:36 AM

Default South Staffords titles

Stephen,

Many thanks for your detailed reply, I did wonder whether the bottom title had faded due to excessive sunlight, but probably as you say another manufacturer.

Rob