British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Royal Canadian Navy

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-05-17, 02:10 PM

Default VAdm G.C.JONES, CB, RCN.

Vice Admiral George Clarence JONES was the CNS (Chief of the Naval Staff) for the RCN from1 Jan 1944 until his death on 2 Feb 1946.

I have just recently acquired this beautiful studio portrait of Admiral Jones.

George Jones is pretty much forgotten today but he was a major figure in the RCN during the pre 2WW interwar period when the RCN was really struggling to maintain an existence in Canada in those days of the depression.
Jones was a member of the First class of the newly created RNCC (Royal Naval College of Canada) that class commencing on 1 Jan 1911. he passed out prior to 1WW seeing service & action with RN ships during 1WW.
He certainly showed ability & promise as he received rapid promotion during that conflict. Sub Lieut(1 Dec'15), & Lieut(1Jan '17). During the interwar years he served on & commanded ships of the RCN. He was promoted to Lt Commander 1 Jan '25, Commander 1 Jan '29,
& Captain 1 Aug '38.

During 2WW he had two ship commands then Commodore Commanding the Atlantic coast of Canada 15 Sep '40, receiving promotion to Rear Admiral 1 Sep '41, & in Dec '41 being appointed to naval Headquarters in Ottawa as Vice CNS. It was Jones who largely managed the rapid expansion of the wartime RCN.
Jones was promoted to Vice Admiral & CNS (succeeding VAdm Percy Nelles)
on 1 Jan '44.
Jones remained as CNS until dying of a heart attack on 2 Feb '46.
He had had a prior heart attack in early '44 after assuming CNS, but managed to keep it quiet, had the RCN medical authorities become aware of his heart condition Jones would likely have been medically invalided out of the RCN which no doubt he was well aware of.

Jones was very strict about regulations, very aggressive(which can be seen in his photo), controversial when CNS, & a very difficult man to work for, this being mentioned in post war bios & histories of the RCN being written after the war.
He was tho, a great supporter of the WRCNS (formed in Aug '42) & did much to advance their standing within the RCN framework.
It was George Jones that permitted the WRCNS to wear(in mid '43) the gold rank & rate badges of the regular RCN & Reserves. He also accomplished a considerable amount in the building up a Canada's wartime shipbuilding industry that really expanded during the conflict.
What Jones might have accomplished post war is difficult to speculate. Unlike many of his RCN contemporaries Jones was very much for the Canadianization of the RCN which began to take place under his successors commencing in '47.

His nickname was "Jetty Jones", acquired perhaps as he only went to sea in the early part of the war. I doubt many had the courage to mention that to his presence tho!

His medal group consists of - 1914-15 star, British War & Victory medals, 1935 Geo V Jubilee medal, 1937 Geo VI Coronation medal, CVSM(clasp), 1939-43 star (as it was then known), & the CB, which he was aware of & wore ribbons of during the latter part of the war.
He also was awarded, after he passed away, the Atlantic star, War medal, Commander of the Legion of Merit(USA), Commander of the Legion of Honour (France), C de G avec Palmes(France), & Knight 1st class order of St Olaf(Norway).

I don't know where George Jones was subsequently buried but I am trying to find out.

Bryan

Bryan

Last edited by RCN; 04-05-17 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-05-17, 05:28 PM

Default VAdm G.C. Jones - RCN

According to the Virtual Canadian War Memorial he is buried at Halifax (Camp Hill) Cemetary.

http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/rememb...arence%20Jones
Old 03-05-17, 09:42 PM

I've seen the posted photo elsewhere with it acknowledged to Library and Archives Canada, though a quick search of its collections does not show that particular photo as being available on-line. There are however a few in the LAC collection that include Admiral Jones.

Of note, this one that may have been taken at around the same time and with RAdm Jones in the company of another (future) Chief of Naval Staff.

It is captioned (incorrectly? re Jones' rank) as:
Hon. Angus L. Macdonald, Minister of National Defence for Naval Services, aboard H.M.C.S. "Ottawa". (Left to right): Commodore G.C. Jones, Mr. Macdonald, Commander [E.R.] Mainguy.

What most would envision as a proper sea-going admiral

Captioned : Rear-Admiral G.C. Jones, Chief of the Naval Staff, Royal Canadian Navy (R.C.N.), St. John's, Newfoundland, 3 February 1944

And in colour

Old 03-05-17, 11:19 PM

Nice colour picture. Looks like a hard man.

The Mainguy report on "mutinies" in the RCN is available online.

http://www.navalandmilitarymuseum.or...df/mainguy.pdf
Old 04-05-17, 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=edstorey;404066]According to the Virtual Canadian War Memorial he is buried at Halifax (Camp Hill) Cemetery.
QUOTE]

Thanks Ed! Will see if I may be able to obtain a photo of his gravesite.

Bryan
Old 04-05-17, 01:23 PM

[QUOTE=Blackadder1916;404083]I've seen the posted photo elsewhere with it acknowledged to Library and Archives Canada, though a quick search of its collections does not show that particular photo as being available on-line. There are however a few in the LAC collection that include Admiral Jones.
QUOTE]

Thanks for posting these photos Blackadder. I had seen them all, but not the colour photo.

Bryan
Old 04-05-17, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post
Nice colour picture. Looks like a hard man.
Jones was a hard man to work for but he drove himself also, I expect high blood pressure was likely a contributing cause of his two heart attacks.

I am trying to locate where I read an very good quote from a WREN who was working in HQ when she came across Adm Jones one day, it may take me a while tho........

Bryan
Old 05-08-17, 09:52 PM

Canadian naval historian Richard O Mayne wrote an excellent article some years ago about the intense rivalry between Jones and LW Murray that divided the RCN officer corps into two camps. I'll link it if I can track it down.
Old 06-08-17, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino View Post
Canadian naval historian Richard O Mayne wrote an excellent article some years ago about the intense rivalry between Jones and LW Murray that divided the RCN officer corps into two camps. I'll link it if I can track it down.
Is this this one ?.
Jo
https://www.amazon.ca/Betrayed-Scand.../dp/0774812966

https://books.google.ca/books?id=Oym...0mayne&f=false

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 06-08-17, 08:37 PM

Now that I think about it, rather than an article, I think it was the chapter on Admiral Jones from "The Admirals: Canada's Senior Naval Leadership in the Twentieth Century".

I also think I read somewhere that the "Jetty Jones" nickname may also have come from some shiphandling mishaps.