British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-09-16, 04:36 PM

Default RN portrait photos

I have quite a number of formal[posed] RN Officers & Ratings mostly from the 1WW & prior Edwardian period. I am always watching out for them, they are a real snapshot of personalities of the 'Navy of the past'.....

So I would like to start a topic where I might be able to show some of them gradually, & the key word here is gradually!

Some are named (identified) which is great as I can obtain their Service Record, & unfortunately, some are not. & some are partially ID'd as I will show.

I try to obtain photos where the sitter has insignia &/or medals showing, thus I am able to date the photo within a range of dates. Most are postcard size (RPPC's - Real Photo Post Cards), but some are larger.

First off --- an unidentified RN Officer - a Lieutenant. He is sitting for a formal photo, wearing his dress uniform with sword & 1WW medals. This portrait would likely date from the 1920's.
I like the frame as well. Would love to identify him but think very very unlikely!

Bryan

Old 23-09-16, 03:29 PM

Default RN Portrait Photos

Commodore Archibald Berkeley Milne, (later Admiral), when in Commodore in Command of H.M.'s Royal Yachts 1903-1905. A favourite of Queen Alexandra who called him "Arky Barky".

Whilst Admiral in Command of the Med Fleet at the beginning of 1WW he performed very poorly in the Goeben & Breslau incident. Relieved of his command he was appointed Commander in Chief of the Nore in Aug 1914.

He is wearing the Dress Frock Coat with gold epaulettes & royal aigulettes.

Old 23-09-16, 03:38 PM

Default RN Portrait Photos

Admiral of the Fleet Arthur Knyvet Wilson VC, GCB, GCVO. Won VC at the Battle of El Teb in Feb 1884. Had a lengthy a very distinguished RN career.

Succeeded Adm of the Fleet J.A. Fisher as 1st Sea Lord in May 1915.

Wearing the dress uniform of an Admiral of the Fleet RN.

Old 23-09-16, 03:43 PM

Adm of the Fleet Wilson's Orders, Decorations & Medals:

& his gravesite in Swaffham:

Old 23-09-16, 06:54 PM

That's one heck of a group of British and foreign awards!

Note the original (pre 1918) blue Naval ribbon on the VC.

Order Of Merit is something you don't see very often. Restricted to a max of 25( ?) members at any one time, including the reigning monarch. The awards have to be returned now when the recipient dies, presumably for refurbishment and reissue.

For anyone who doesn't know - top row - VC / Crimea (& 1 clasp) / China 1861 (& 2 clasps) / Egypt 1882 (& 3 clasps) / Khedive's Star / 1897 Jubilee / 1902 Coronation / 1911 Coronation / French Legion D'Honneur / Turkish Crimea.

Incidentally, they are not displayed in quite the correct order - the Khedive's Star should be at the end of the row.

David

Last edited by davidwyke; 23-09-16 at 08:05 PM.
Old 25-09-16, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwyke View Post
That's one heck of a group of British and foreign awards!

Note the original (pre 1918) blue Naval ribbon on the VC.

Order Of Merit is something you don't see very often. Restricted to a max of 25( ?) members at any one time, including the reigning monarch. The awards have to be returned now when the recipient dies, presumably for refurbishment and reissue.

David
Order of Merit instituted in 1902 by King Edward VII - a maximum of 24 members plus the Sovereign, since 1991 the insignia returnable upon the death of the recipient. Very seldom awarded thus very rare.

Bryan
Old 25-09-16, 01:12 PM

Default RN Portrait Photos (con't)

Commodore (later Admiral of the Fleet) H.S.H. Prince Louis Alexander of Battenberg, GCB, GCVO, etc. Admiral & First Sea Lord Dec 1912, & at the beginning of 1WW. Forced to resign due to his German name in Oct 1914 & succeeded by AF J.A. Fisher.

At the time of this photo he was Commodore(1st cl) of the Mediterranean Fleet, Oct-Nov 1902. Advanced to Flag Rank 1 July '04.

Old 25-09-16, 01:47 PM

Default RN Portrait Photos (con't)

Admiral (later Adm of the Fleet) William Henry May, GCB, GCVO, etc.

Promoted to AF 20 Mar 1913, administrative service during 1WW, serving on the Dardanelles Commission tasked with examining the failure of Gallipoli Campaign, & as a member of the Reconstruction Committee tasked with considering post-war expenditure reductions.

Rear Admiral circa 1902 when Third Naval Lord & Controller of the Navy.

Admiral & Commander in Chief Home Fleet 1909-

Admiral of the Fleet circa 1913.