British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 30-09-11, 02:38 PM

Default Bradford mufti`s Mayors charity copies.

As a buyer/collector of anything at all connected to the Bradford Pals, i have been for some time now been on the lookout for one of the Mayors office copies of the Bradford Pals Mufti badges,
These copies were I believe made by Fattorini`s, and were sold for the mayors charities. Two lots of the copies were made the first in 2006 to
commemorate the 90th anniversary of the battle of the Somme,the seconed lot were produced in 2008 [I think].
These copies were only sold via the mayors office at the various functions in and around Bradford they were never meant to deceive collectors although some are now appearing on internet being sold as genuine items.
I recently managed to obtain one of the copies and want to let members know about the differences between genuine ww1 badges and the modern copies.
First of all the origionals have a horseshoe fitting to go through a button hole
and in a lot of cases the horseshoe was removed in order to put on a brooch fitting or safety pin type, this always leaves a trace where the metal was cut off.
The Mayors copies are ever so slightly smaller than the ww1 type, as in approx 14mm x 33mm and approx 11mm x 30mm.
The Mayors copies have on the reverse a modern style brooch pin fitting and the metal on the reverse is not really smooth [as on origional] but is slightly rough to the touch.
Three photo`s to help in all 3 genuine item on the left copy on the right.
I do hope this will help anyone who is considering buying one. Regards Andy.

Last edited by yorkie; 29-01-15 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-10-11, 05:58 AM

Smile

Thanks for the info Andy, vey useful.

George
Old 01-10-11, 06:17 AM

Great info Andy - many thanks. Have not seen any of these until now.....

Cheers, Neil

Tags
bradford, copies, mayors., pals mufti