British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-09-11, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Hello Rob,

Being 'Generation X', I don't remember the 1950s... what is it, please?

Seriously though, do you think that the named sliders were very probably just as prevalent in the Fifties, but with (possibly) fewer collectors and a distict absence of the Information Superhighway, the badge-collecting fraternity was just not as exposed to what was out there as we are nowadays?

Regards,

Peter.
Generation X, first time I've seen them mentioned for a while. Billy Idol, W and anchor spring to mind.
Old 17-09-11, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

I would recommend that any Gaunt badge with a plaque is carefully looked at as a genuine plaque is no guarantee that the badge is. Not only have fake plaques been made but alos genuine plaques have been removed from low value badges and put on fakes. RND is most vulnerable to this practice.
Old 17-09-11, 08:37 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
I would recommend that any Gaunt badge with a plaque is carefully looked at as a genuine plaque is no guarantee that the badge is. Not only have fake plaques been made but alos genuine plaques have been removed from low value badges and put on fakes. RND is most vulnerable to this practice.
Thanks, Alan. I don't suppose you would have an example to post, by any chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
Generation X, first time I've seen them mentioned for a while. Billy Idol, W and anchor spring to mind.
Keith,

Agreed... a bit of a Jim Morrison wannabe, and (hypocritically) way too old to be genuine Generation X, having been born in 1955. Wasn't Ray Manzarek their manager at some point?

Peter
Old 17-09-11, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the reply Peter,

I also have a cast bronze badge with a Firmin tablet which is very similar to the Gaunt version and I hope is a good one. The blades have broken off and a replacement brass slider has been soldered to it.
Although it is not a Gaunt tablet, I hope it shows an example of a cast badge with a separate tablet added by the maker. I tend to agree with Whizzbang in his reply, and would imagine it would be simpler to cast the name onto the badge rather than attach a separate plate.

Is there a period of time when the tablets were attached to the badges ?

Regards Alan Y.

Devonshire 1.jpg Devonshire 2.JPG Devonshire 3.JPG
Old 17-09-11, 11:12 AM

I suppose there's a chance of early badge engineering. Buying bulk from a sub contractor due to higher demand.

Simon.
Old 17-09-11, 05:39 PM

Peter ,I picked this up bargain today not sure if it's a good un or not, nice badge but i broke off the slider trying to get a good picture of the tablet for you

Last edited by magpie; 28-09-13 at 10:42 PM.
Old 17-09-11, 05:46 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Peter ,I picked this up bargain today not sure if it's a good un or not, nice badge but i broke off the slider trying to get a good picture of the tablet for you
Ouch! Sorry to hear that, Andy. Thank you for posting the image, and your sacrifice is duly noted, sir.

Was it another 'less-than-a-fiver' purchase though?

Regards,

Peter.

PS - What's the badge?
Old 17-09-11, 05:53 PM

not saying how much but heres the badge

Last edited by magpie; 28-09-13 at 10:42 PM.
Old 17-09-11, 06:00 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
not saying how much but heres the badge
Blimey! There's a thing! Never seen one of those before.
Old 18-09-11, 06:10 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Y View Post
Thanks for the reply Peter,

I also have a cast bronze badge with a Firmin tablet which is very similar to the Gaunt version and I hope is a good one. The blades have broken off and a replacement brass slider has been soldered to it.
Although it is not a Gaunt tablet, I hope it shows an example of a cast badge with a separate tablet added by the maker. I tend to agree with Whizzbang in his reply, and would imagine it would be simpler to cast the name onto the badge rather than attach a separate plate.

Is there a period of time when the tablets were attached to the badges ?

Regards Alan Y.

Attachment 49149 Attachment 49150 Attachment 49151
Thanks, Alan, nice to see your badge.

I can only conclude that it was perhaps more cost-effective for a manufacturer to add their name plate later, rather than to cast it into the badge.

In terms of quality, the Gaunt tablets are a million miles away from the badges they are attached to - perhaps it was just easier and cheaper to do it this way. I can't help but feel that if it was easier for them to cast it into the badge, that they would have done so. Just a thought .

Peter.
Old 18-09-11, 06:33 PM

Hi Peter,

If you look at the Gaunt section in the maker's mark gallery (link below) you can see that tablet's were the exception! All the cast badges shown either have a cast-in mark or a stamped mark!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/makers_marks/gaunt.htm

Cheers, Ian.
Old 18-09-11, 06:46 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzbang View Post
Hi Peter,

If you look at the Gaunt section in the maker's mark gallery (link below) you can see that tablet's were the exception! All the cast badges shown either have a cast-in mark or a stamped mark!

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/makers_marks/gaunt.htm

Cheers, Ian.
Yes indeed, Ian. Many thanks for that.

Peter
Old 18-09-11, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
Hi, Ian

I like the idea of reunion badges. So when would these badges have been made? The one that I saw looked new so I suspect that it is of modern manufacture. Any chance of seeing your badge front and back please?

Andy
Hi Andy - here you go. Cheers, Ian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CEF%20MG%20Front.jpg (68.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg CEF%20MG%20Back.jpg (89.5 KB, 23 views)
Old 18-09-11, 09:16 PM

I am glad to see there is always the exception that proves the rule. I have an absolutely genuine Royal Artillery small beret badge with a dot before the london and it is of a different size to those listed in the maker's gallery as it measures 12mm by 1mm. I attach four images of this badge (I hope, as first time I have tried this)CIMG9663.jpg

CIMG9664.jpg

CIMG9665.jpg

CIMG9666.jpg.

It is absolutely genuine.
Old 18-09-11, 10:32 PM

Question RND

Hi, I recently saw a RND badge for sale with the JR Gaunt tablet and loops. It was reasonably priced and I was very tempted. Luckily I had a reference book with me showing the front and rear of original Gaunt badges. The badge had poor definition and irregular voids, it also felt light and its colour was wrong. In my mind it was a definite restrike. Therefore I suspect that the forgers are now reproducing RND badges with Gaunt tablets. I also agree that their is a huge increase in the number of badges appearing with maker marked sliders.

Best wishes Dave

Tags
gaunt tablet