British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-09-11, 05:22 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I panic whenever I see Gaunt tablets on anything other than RND cap badges. Named sliders are now common, where were they in the 1950's?
Hello Rob,

Being 'Generation X', I don't remember the 1950s... what is it, please?

Seriously though, do you think that the named sliders were very probably just as prevalent in the Fifties, but with (possibly) fewer collectors and a distict absence of the Information Superhighway, the badge-collecting fraternity was just not as exposed to what was out there as we are nowadays?

Regards,

Peter.

Last edited by Peter J; 16-09-11 at 06:18 PM.
Old 16-09-11, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzbang View Post
Hi Andy - from your description, I am pretty sure that type of Cdn MG you are referring to is suspect (one of the Gaunt tablets I posted above is on the same badge). Well known ebay purveyors of fakes have plenty of them in stock, complete with dodgy Gaunt tablets. The kindest theory I have heard is that they are reunion badges. I tend to believe this as many are high-quality badges. Cheers, Ian.
Hi, Ian

I like the idea of reunion badges. So when would these badges have been made? The one that I saw looked new so I suspect that it is of modern manufacture. Any chance of seeing your badge front and back please?

Andy
Old 16-09-11, 06:29 PM
Banned

Hi Peter,

Pictured below are the two badges that I have that bear the Gaunt Tablet.

These are both overseas purchase items and therefore fit in with what has been written in post#11 of this thread:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=18733

From that I would assume that any other badge that bears a Gaunt tablet would have to be a Regimental Purchase.

As far as telling a good Tablet from a bad one, the following was a statement made to me via PM during a discussion on this subject with a forum friend.

"The real ones are stamped. The lettering on the fakes is created by punching lots of dots !"

This makes sense to me but of course we still have the issue of good plates being attached to bad badges.

A worthy thread, let's hope that it gets the attention it deserves in order to enable us to gain a full understanding of these items.

Regards

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 04-06-12 at 02:57 PM.
Old 16-09-11, 07:00 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Hi Peter,

Pictured below are the two badges that I have that bear the Gaunt Tablet.

These are both overseas purchase items and therefore fit in with what has been written in post#11 of this thread:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=18733

From that I would assume that any other badge that bears a Gaunt tablet would have to be a Regimental Purchase.

As far as telling a good Tablet from a bad one, the following was a statement made to me via PM during a discussion on this subject with a forum friend.

"The real ones are stamped. The lettering on the fakes is created by punching lots of dots !"

This makes sense to me but of course we still have the issue of good plates being attached to bad badges.

A worthy thread, let's hope that it gets the attention it deserves in order to enable us to gain a full understanding of these items.

Regards

Ry
Thanks Ry,

I somehow seemed to miss the thread you linked to - very interesting.

So in addition to the 'Tidy-Tab', the 'Pin-Head' should also be approached with caution.

May I ask what your thoughts are on the examples you posted?

Regards,

Peter
Old 16-09-11, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Thanks Ry,

I somehow seemed to miss the thread you linked to - very interesting.

So in addition to the 'Tidy-Tab', the 'Pin-Head' should also be approached with caution.

May I ask what your thoughts are on the examples you posted?

Regards,

Peter
Peter,

I am 100% happy with the OSD Collar and I see no reason to suspect that the NZ Collar is anything other than original, assuming that it is a fairly run of the mill item.

I haven't handled enough badges with Tablets to really give an opinion on their characteristics overall I'm afraid but remain wary of them, especially if they have lettering that appears to be less than uniform / regular just as I would be on a maker marked slider. Only my estimation of course, based on my limited knowledge of them and a desire not to believe that all that glitters is gold.

Ry
Old 16-09-11, 07:23 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie585 View Post
Peter,

I am 100% happy with the OSD Collar and I see no reason to suspect that the NZ Collar is anything other than original, assuming that it is a fairly run of the mill item.

I haven't handled enough badges with Tablets to really give an opinion on their characteristics overall I'm afraid but remain wary of them, especially if they have lettering that appears to be less than uniform / regular just as I would be on a maker marked slider. Only my estimation of course, based on my limited knowledge of them and a desire not to believe that all that glitters is gold.

Ry
Good man... I like them too, especially the OSD collar.

Thanks, Ry.

PJ
Old 16-09-11, 07:37 PM

Hello Peter and all,

I have this Ayrshire Yeomanry badge which I’m sure we discussed a while ago via a PM. It has a Gaunt plate which is fixed upside down but has a gap below it, and does not look as if it has been cast or moulded in one piece. Any suggestions welcomed,

Thanks in advance and regards Alan Y.

Ayrshire Yeomanry 1.JPG Ayrshire Yeomanry 2.jpg
Old 16-09-11, 07:58 PM

Interesting thread. I have to be honest I'm starting not to worry too much about getting maker marked badge's as in the end my collection will be framed and the backs not seen again. But it is nice to them with an MM as their's some feeling of age and legitimacy to them. Here's the tablet one's I have. The onlt one in question is the RB as it has some irregularity to it. I believe the badge is a good one, as it's heavy and the lugs are good to me also.

The Nelson RND is an upside down mounted one.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user616_pic50730_1316202377.jpg (42.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg user616_pic49758_1315067483.jpg (50.3 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg user616_pic49004_1314410413.jpg (61.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg user616_pic48861_1314279166.jpg (75.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg user616_pic48860_1314279166.jpg (60.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg user616_pic48859_1314279129.jpg (43.6 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg user616_pic48855_1314279129.jpg (68.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg user616_pic48853_1314279084.jpg (61.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg user616_pic49135_1314500229.jpg (87.7 KB, 34 views)
Old 16-09-11, 08:00 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Y View Post
Hello Peter and all,

I have this Ayrshire Yeomanry badge which I’m sure we discussed a while ago via a PM. It has a Gaunt plate which is fixed upside down but has a gap below it, and does not look as if it has been cast or moulded in one piece. Any suggestions welcomed,

Thanks in advance and regards Alan Y.

Attachment 49119 Attachment 49120
Hello Alan,

How're things, mate?

I think the gap is perfectly fine; it demonstrates precisely the point you're making about the tablet not being an integral part of the badge.

A while ago, a forum friend and badge super-brain (I won't embarrass him further) was kind enough to show me a copy of a Gaunt tableted (if that's a word) badge, where the tablet and badge were all one. When the fakers took an impression of the original badge, the tablet was of course incorporated into the mould, and consequently appears on the finished item as being part of the entire piece.

This is not to say that if a gap is not in evidence on a particular badge that it is a wrong 'un, or that any badge with a gap is a necessarily a good 'un, but you see the point I am making.

Thanks for posting your example, mate. Nice to see it.

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Peter J; 16-09-11 at 08:11 PM.
Old 16-09-11, 08:06 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Interesting thread. I have to be honest I'm starting not to worry too much about getting maker marked badge's as in the end my collection will be framed and the backs not seen again. But it is nice to them with an MM as their's some feeling of age and legitimacy to them. Here's the tablet one's I have. The onlt one in question is the RB as it has some irregularity to it. I believe the badge is a good one, as it's heavy and the lugs are good to me also.

The Nelson RND is an upside down mounted one.

Simon.
Some very nice examples amongst that bunch, Simon.

Peter.
Old 16-09-11, 08:10 PM

Thanks Peter. Pity they demand a premium when they are on a badge.....

Simon.
Old 16-09-11, 08:19 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
Thanks Peter. Pity they demand a premium when they are on a badge.....

Simon.
Unless your name is Andy (Magpie), who is the bargain-Gaunt-find Grand Master .

PJ
Old 16-09-11, 08:37 PM

Well, I suppose I should take that back as the Lincoln I got for $25, along with a Lincoln and Welland enameled gaunt Montreal I sold for $120 on Ebay; so really free with a profit.

The Nelson, I posted recently I got for $30. The MGC came in today for $11, the Canterbury was $7.50. The Lancashire was $28.
The most expensive was the Hood at $100. The Warwicks and Notts about $40.

I find they do come along, but one hopes the seller doesn't list it with it...

Simon.
Old 16-09-11, 08:38 PM

Hi Simon,

The MG badge in your post reminds me of a past thread where the question was raised why would a manufacturer put a tablet on a cast badge? Gaunt marks I have seen on cast badges are usually part of the casting or stamped on. Not saying anything against your badge, it looks good to me!

Cheers, Ian.
Old 16-09-11, 08:58 PM

Hi Iain, maybe so see your point knowing the manufacturing process; but all signs lead me to tab and badge being together from the beginning.

Simon.

Tags
gaunt tablet