British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-12-10, 10:20 PM
Former Member

Default J.R. GAUNT B'HAM

I wish more people were members of this Forum! It would stop people throwing away good money on post 1970s restrikes like this!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Orig-CHESHIRE-...item19c1d2a8ac

Andy
Old 23-12-10, 10:36 PM

Andy

I'm afraid youv'e got me a little confused. I know about the 15mm Gaunt with the dot but how do you detect the difference of this mark from a Genuine Birmingham mark as in the makers mark section.

Paul
Old 23-12-10, 11:06 PM
Former Member

Paul,
this large Gaunt B'Ham mark appears on badges made by Gaunts from c.1970s onwards. Mostly on Yeomanry and Cavalry badges. Many of the Regiments had long since vanished! Besides anodised aluminium became the material of official ORs badges in the 1950s.

What we have here is a true "RESTRIKE"..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Orig-CHESHIRE-...item19c1d2a8ac

However the Cheshire Yeo remained in existance as C Sqn of the Queen's Own Yeo. The official badge would have been anodised, but it is quite possible that if obtained via private purchase a Bi-metal badge could have been worn? The badge being sold is described as WW1 which I'm affraid was over a good 50+ years before this badge was made!

Andy
Old 23-12-10, 11:24 PM

Andy
Thanks for clearing that up. I learn something new everyday on this site.
Old 24-12-10, 03:17 AM

Default A Weasel Warning or Fore-warned Is Fore-armed

Andy,

After reading this seller's profile I don't see how you can possibly make the statements about her that you do. She is, after all, "a professional historical researcher" with an "in depth knowledge of a diverse range of historical memorabilia." Did I mention that she is an e-bay top-rated seller, with 100% positive feedback? She does state that she seeks out "interesting and rare items". What could be rarer than an AA badge from WW 1? Everything stated about this seller is true. It reminds me of the dangers of Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO). The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.These statements are true and efforts have been made to ban this substance which is commonly found in homes, schools, and places of employment. More information can be found here: http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html All statements, again, are true.

So, how's your blood pressure doing? Assuming you've figured out DHMO look at what a "Top-rated Seller" means. Consistently receives highest buyer ratings - can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time. Dispatches items quickly - before buyer can change mind. Has earned a track record of excellent service - service with a smile while taking your money. Did I mention that this item is an antique and cannot be returned "unless mis-described." Nothing is said about giving value for money. Everything written about this seller may be perfectly true, yet she doesn't know her gluteus maximus from her elbow as far as this badge is concerned. The Birmingham mark is a red herring which, I fear, will fool the unwary. But, as fear is supposed to be the beginning of wisdom, perhaps this leaves me, and I would hope others, a little wiser.

Don

Last edited by jubilationtcornpone; 24-12-10 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Add title
Old 24-12-10, 03:37 AM

I have to say though having a 100% rating doesn't mean that everything went well with certain sales. There are times as I know that 100% positive feedback is left by a buyer, as the seller agreed to requests to return an item and payment. The hope is the law of averages that some time, the recipient of a said item doesn't know it's duff, and also leaves positive feedback.

I've returned some badges to various sellers and left positive feedback, as the seller was as they say, a good ebayer and honored there return policy. But eventually I imagine the badge I send back will eventually be accepted as a good 'un.

I'm not saying this of the seller in question, just the 100% statements.

Regards all, and happy holidays
Old 28-09-11, 04:42 PM

Sorry to resurface an old thread but I have recently fallen foul of a J.R.Gaunt B'ham mark and thought that it would be a good idea to put it to the top of the list for new members to read.

Maybe somebody could provide a current illustration for this mark?

Cheers

Phil
Old 28-09-11, 06:31 PM

Could someone post an example of a good and a bad J.R.Gaunt B'ham mark for reference purposes?

Thanks,

Allan
Old 28-09-11, 06:59 PM

Phil/Allan,
Here you go one I posted a while ago for opinions, 70's restrike.
Don't think its so much the makers mark, more the badge its attached to i.e this badge is too early for this makers mark. I may be off with this reasoning but am sure those with the facts can correct me!

Last edited by tonyb; 24-08-19 at 04:12 PM.
Old 28-09-11, 07:20 PM

SWB.jpg
With thanks to the GMIC

It's nice to know that the Gaunts, Birmingham & London Factories made a good job of the thousands of Silver War Badges they produced during the Great War.
Old 28-09-11, 07:29 PM

That's a nice early version you have there Graham with the horizontal pin..
Simon.
Old 28-09-11, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS View Post
That's a nice early version you have there Graham with the horizontal pin..
Simon.
Sadly not mine - borrowed from another Forum, but it's the first time I've seen an actual box and complete with a Gaunt's lable mentioning both London & Birmingham and thought I'd add it as a matter of interest.

In that respect you could actually say not all Gaunts, Birmingham badges are repro
Old 28-09-11, 10:26 PM

When I can get on to the pc i will post my green howards badge on this thread too. it shows the bad mark too. My badge differs in the fact that its a cast badge.

Cheer guys,

phil
Old 29-09-11, 03:47 PM

Hi,

Here is my badge with the gaunt b'ham mark.

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 06-07-14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 29-09-11, 04:06 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
Hi,

Here is my badge with the gaunt b'ham mark.

Phil
Phil,

I think my eyes are in need of an MOT ... is your badge anodised?

PJ