British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-07-11, 02:18 PM

They would be worn on the right breast above the pocket on the combat smock/jacket/shirt. The USA para wings wings would also be worn on the right breast but I believe that they could only wear one "extra" wing but if you could get away with it.................

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 23-07-11, 02:25 PM
Banned

Thank you for that Jerry - I'm still keen to see any photographs if anyone cares to post on the thread. It's always reassuring to know that we are never too old to learn. David
Old 23-07-11, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

They are worn on the right breast only on Combat smocks. Only one set of foreign wings can be worn at one time in addition to UK wings on the right arm. US wings go on the right side of the chest.
Old 23-07-11, 04:24 PM

Default FANY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
The wings are official French miltiary wings.... I will check my books but they are considered part of the military.
Do you have a reference indicating that the wings are, as stated, "official French military wings"? I'm unable to find any evidence of this.
Thanks.
Old 23-07-11, 04:41 PM
Banned

Mike - Likewise, I can't find any military credence to these wings. David
Old 23-07-11, 04:55 PM

Just thought i'd have a look around for SAS- FANY, and found this on a YAHOO search, interesting to say the least, especially when you consider that most women in the front line of the British Army were frowned upon. In most cases they were treated with contempt, behind their backs.

I applaud all of them, for having the guts to stand on the front line in war time, whilst other men wouldn't. That's the shirkers I'm on about, not the war workers and such.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...y-Sproule.html

Well done Paddy and all the other women, who stood shoulder to shoulder with the special forces, and many inches above the others. RIP all of you

One other thing for you lot to consider as well, ..........

I believe that to publish anything about women in the special forces would be a very dangerous thing for any military unit to do, ...... don't you ??

Then to show the world through "OFFICIAL" patches & badges and such, would underscore to our enemies all over the world the very fact that makes them secret. FBK
Old 24-07-11, 03:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Ken View Post
Just thought i'd have a look around for SAS- FANY, and found this on a YAHOO search, interesting to say the least, especially when you consider that most women in the front line of the British Army were frowned upon. In most cases they were treated with contempt, behind their backs.

I applaud all of them, for having the guts to stand on the front line in war time, whilst other men wouldn't. That's the shirkers I'm on about, not the war workers and such.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...y-Sproule.html

Well done Paddy and all the other women, who stood shoulder to shoulder with the special forces, and many inches above the others. RIP all of you

One other thing for you lot to consider as well, ..........

I believe that to publish anything about women in the special forces would be a very dangerous thing for any military unit to do, ...... don't you ??

Then to show the world through "OFFICIAL" patches & badges and such, would underscore to our enemies all over the world the very fact that makes them secret. FBK
Thanks for posting the link and what an amazing story of some very brave women. I think that puts paid to any question regarding their "service status."
Old 24-07-11, 07:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesianmilitaria View Post
Thanks for posting the link and what an amazing story of some very brave women. I think that puts paid to any question regarding their "service status."
No it doesn't ! There have been many volunteer organisations in combat zones since the start of military records so the issue is not a new one. Simply turning up with your tea wagon, first aid station or merely bodies willing to help doesn't give service status, other than as civilian volunteers. There are many instances where field commanders refused to permit volunteers into their combat zone, in some cases because their security status could not be guaranteed and in other cases because they 'got in the way of military operations'. Some posts on this thread are missing the critical point - are the 'wings' worn by such folk official or unofficial, in the military context ? I rather suspect that the answer is 'unofficial'. Where is the evidence to support the alternative argument ? David
Old 24-07-11, 08:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence View Post
No it doesn't ! There have been many volunteer organisations in combat zones since the start of military records so the issue is not a new one. Simply turning up with your tea wagon, first aid station or merely bodies willing to help doesn't give service status, other than as civilian volunteers. There are many instances where field commanders refused to permit volunteers into their combat zone, in some cases because their security status could not be guaranteed and in other cases because they 'got in the way of military operations'. Some posts on this thread are missing the critical point - are the 'wings' worn by such folk official or unofficial, in the military context ? I rather suspect that the answer is 'unofficial'. Where is the evidence to support the alternative argument ? David
Well it does for me. Many items such as patches and wings are 'unofficial' but are still tolerated by the authorities in time of war. As far as I'm concerned if the military tolerates an unofficial para wing for example, then it is as collectible as an 'official' one.
Old 24-07-11, 08:28 AM

I agree with Peter. I have quite a few.
I know my mob wore unofficial badges at times.
Old 24-07-11, 08:40 AM

By what I can see of the armed forces at present there are more "unofficial" than official badges being worn but the fact that they are being worn and a blind eye being turned to them in no way stops them being collectable. Badge collecting is after all a hobby , except for those who see it as a good way of making a few bucks, and therefore any item's collectability is down to the collector. I would have no argument with someone collecting repro badges if that was what he/she wanted to do so long as they enjoyed collecting them after all people collect quite a few things that are made purely for the collector market.
Old 24-07-11, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airtrooper View Post
I agree with Peter. I have quite a few.
I know my mob wore unofficial badges at times.
That's interesting - could you give some examples of unofficial badges worn by members of your unit(s)?
Mike
Old 24-07-11, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
That's interesting - could you give some examples of unofficial badges worn by members of your unit(s)?
Mike
I would like to echo that question - if I may ? David
Old 24-07-11, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
David, the FANY are still very much part of our armed forces.....
Can you please support this statement with photographs or indeed anything material ? If they are a part of our armed forces, where are their officers listed ? Where do they fit in the military structure of the UK ? There is much said about these folk bt no evidence to support it, I'm afraid. David
Old 24-07-11, 12:19 PM

Sure, plenty amongst this little lot......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAC PATCHES 1.jpg (98.7 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg AAC PATCHES 2.jpg (98.1 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg AAC PATCHES 3.jpg (94.4 KB, 66 views)