British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 10-02-11, 10:11 AM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilationtcornpone View Post
David, Tom, et al:

It would help a lot if you Brits would go back to wearing red uniforms. We Americans never seemed to have a problem knowing who you were when you did.

One of my favorite stories was about an American captain stationed in Turkey who discovered after several months in country that all the 3 star Turkish generals he was saluting were privates! True story. We yanks have no excuse for not saluting this general, after we figure out where to look on his uniform to find insignia we recognize. As far as being expected to know all the various rank insignia, if I were a young troop on my first deployment, that would not be my first concern. British army rank insignia isn't that hard. The RAF, on the other hand, remains a mystery.

Don

Don,
we have sorted out the problem of how to identify RAF ranks, now that there are "Bar Code" readers on mobile phones, they don't seem to like having their chests/shoulders/wrists scanned though!

Andy
Old 10-02-11, 11:36 AM

What about the old story of the Senior Royal Air Force officer visiting RAF Aldergrove in Northern Ireland, which at the time was a joint RAF and Army base.

The RAF Senior officer was making his way in uniforn across the base when he encountered a young Jock (Scottish Soldier) who ignored him and walked on by.

The RAF Senior officer called to him and said "don't you salute Air Vice Marshals in the Queen's Own Highlanders?"

The young Jock though for a moment and replied "no, we dinna (do not) have any Air Vice Marshals in the Queen's Own Highlanders!"
Old 10-02-11, 03:32 PM

Default Thank God For Technology

Andy,

I think that the use of bar code readers for the RAF is a most sensible solution. Now, if someone would just explain to me how someone can be a squadron leader when he doesn't actually lead a squadron, or a group captain when one doesn't actually captain a group. As far as being a Vice Air Marshall is concerned, having been born and raised in the great American West, that has always brought images of John Wayne on his faithful stead chasing pervaders of vice, reins clenched in his teeth and a Colt revolver in each hand. Not a very British image I'm afraid. 20 years ago, during my brief time at The Saudi Ministry of Defense and Aviation, US officers assigned there wore the corresponding Saudi rank insignia on the front of their uniform. This included General Schwarzkopf.

Finally, before anyone goes off in a huff, or in a minute and a huff for those just a little slower, like me, if I didn't have a great deal of respect for the British, and by extension commonwealth, armed forces, I would not be a collector of their insignia nor a member of this forum.

Don
Old 10-02-11, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilationtcornpone View Post
Andy,

I think that the use of bar code readers for the RAF is a most sensible solution. Now, if someone would just explain to me how someone can be a squadron leader when he doesn't actually lead a squadron, or a group captain when one doesn't actually captain a group. As far as being a Vice Air Marshall is concerned, having been born and raised in the great American West, that has always brought images of John Wayne on his faithful stead chasing pervaders of vice, reins clenched in his teeth and a Colt revolver in each hand. Not a very British image I'm afraid. 20 years ago, during my brief time at The Saudi Ministry of Defense and Aviation, US officers assigned there wore the corresponding Saudi rank insignia on the front of their uniform. This included General Schwarzkopf.

Finally, before anyone goes off in a huff, or in a minute and a huff for those just a little slower, like me, if I didn't have a great deal of respect for the British, and by extension commonwealth, armed forces, I would not be a collector of their insignia nor a member of this forum.

Don
Apparently (I am told), the RAF ranks got out of kilter during the pre-Polaris Atomic age, when the RAF for some decades held the responsibility for providing the UK's independent deterrent. It was felt that Squadron Leader was not an appropriate rank for commanding bomber squadrons with such awesome death dealing capability and so Wing Commanders (who did previously command 'Wings', or in army parlance brigades of squadrons) were given command of the bomber squadrons. Other squadrons followed suit to achieve cross-organisational standardisation and the ranks both above and below were similarly downgraded, (e.g. a Squadron Leader commands a Flight and a Group Captain a Station) There was also, I suspect, a degree of 'reality' in that the RAF was shrinking significantly in size, but there was a desire to retain the overall rank structure intact, complete with the more senior ranks and their perks and privileges. 'Real Politik' in action!

Last edited by Toby Purcell; 11-02-11 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10-02-11, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
They havn't learnt what British soldiers look like yet, so understanding our rank system might be a push lol jk guys....

Tom
A friend of mine served in Iraq (GW1) and arrived at the scene of carnage, chewed up British vehicles etc, to help evacuate the wounded. The US officer who's men had opened fire was very appologetic and said, 'I'm sorry, they didn't recognise the flag the vehicles were flying'. It was of course the Union flag!
Lee
Old 11-02-11, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

On Op TELIC 1 some US marines with 16 bde HQ told the HCR Sqn in 16 AA bde (in Scimitar CVR(T)) that they were surprised to see that they were driving BMPs........