British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-05-09, 01:09 PM

Default Tank corps badge

Hi there i have a tank corps badge and i was wondering is it original or not.

Thankx for the help

Last edited by Brodie_MK1; 22-05-09 at 01:44 PM.
Old 22-05-09, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry,

While the originals had sliders there has yet to be a single badge with that JR Guant.London mark that I would say is genuine. Other ranks Tank Corps badges are not maker marked.

Alan
Old 22-05-09, 08:19 PM
guest456

Default Tank Corps WW1 badge

I am sorry, Mr. Moderator, but other ranks' Tank Corps cap badges DID bear makers' marks. The next time any of you visit Bovington just ask to inspect the reserve collection specimens. Similarly, the Imperial War Museum reserve collection has several such examples. As for J R Gaunt London, I would expect to see J R Gaunt Ltd at the period. I am sure there are others ready to comment.
Old 22-05-09, 09:04 PM

Well i had some reply's on a other forum that it was a restrike.

So what do you think?
Old 22-05-09, 09:07 PM

Hi, although museums are a good source of information, their collections are for the large part donated and as such are not gospel. Curators are often ex-regimental and not really experts on badges and insignia. I'm not deridng regimental museums in anyway,they are an excellent place for research, I'm just saying exercise the same caution as you would anywhere else. This doesn't apply just to British museums, it applies just as equally to other countries. P.S I agree with Alan, I have a few TC badges and seen a few more and have never seen a marked slider that I have liked, for what it's worth. Mike.
Old 22-05-09, 09:40 PM

Default tank corp

its an acid aged fake.
Old 22-05-09, 10:49 PM

Unhappy Marked sliders

Please see my first post on this forum, marked sliders in my opinion on WWI badges are to be regarded with suspicion, as Fearnaught says about museums, the items they have are in the main donated, I saw a white metal King Edwards Horse in a museum along with other spurious items all from an "old collection".
Old 22-05-09, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Hi Brodie,

my 6 penn'orth worth:

1) The excessive reverse discolouration should ring alarm bells, but this feature on it's own should generally not cause the dismissal of a badge out of hand. (But seeing this photo I would personally avoid this badge for this reason alone - but that's just my opinion of course )

2) Many originals of this badge have the slider attached to the reverse of the "TANK" scroll and not the crown.

3) The alleged 70's mass restrike Gaunt mark, AKA The "Gaunt with a dot" mark - (also said to be used on later restrikes too) - is about 15mm long, original marks appear to be about 11mm long.

4) Having said point 3), through 1917 & 1918 there was a need for insignia for 28,000 Tank Corps members, therefore it is unlikely any "other ranks " production by contract winners were marked, (there were fortunes to be made in WW1 supplying the military) - see post 2 above.

So my opinion; sadly it's a restrike/ copy.

Old 23-05-09, 04:30 AM

Many thankx
Old 06-04-13, 02:30 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O View Post
Sorry,

While the originals had sliders there has yet to be a single badge with that JR Guant.London mark that I would say is genuine. Other ranks Tank Corps badges are not maker marked.

Alan
Alan,
some are!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1001.jpg (78.3 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1006.jpg (84.1 KB, 152 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF1007.jpg (71.8 KB, 145 views)