British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-04-13, 07:00 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Default WRU 24th Lancers Good and Fake

Not sure if this has been done before but here goes.
Have been going through some boxes and this turned up.

I enclose a picture of a fake 24L I found alongside a genuine one.
The fake is much darker and has an appalling shape to the sides of the crown in comparison to the lighter coloured genuine cap badge.
Odd that the forgers go to the trouble of putting more effort into the lance tips (i.e. the tips on the genuine version arn't so detailed) rather than the crown...
Of course the rear of the fake is completely lacking in detail whereas the genuine one is very crisp.
David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24LGoodAndBad.jpg (65.2 KB, 135 views)
Old 20-04-13, 07:11 AM
Former Member

David,
the arched arms to the crown are a dead give away, but the font shape/style is the thing to look for on fake 24L badges, it is very thin and the "A" in particular has a wide stance! Another indicator to avoid is a small triangular surplus of metal where the lance meets the circlet above the "R", similar to this one.

Best regards

Andy
Old 20-04-13, 07:38 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
David,
the arched arms to the crown are a dead give away, but the font shape/style is the thing to look for on fake 24L badges, it is very thin and the "A" in particular has a wide stance! Another indicator to avoid is a small triangular surplus of metal where the lance meets the circlet above the "R", similar to this one.

Best regards

Andy
I see what you mean by the font but I have only ever noticed the 'surplus metal' before on the bronze ones (which you refere to) rather than on the WM versions...?
David
Old 20-04-13, 12:23 PM

If I were to choose between the two badges shown I'd go for the repro as it looks more substantial and everything is much more detailed than the weedy looking genuine!
Old 20-04-13, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampwick View Post
If I were to choose between the two badges shown I'd go for the repro as it looks more substantial and everything is much more detailed than the weedy looking genuine!
Yes I would - and did - for that very reason - about 16 years ago. It was the first WRU badge I ever bought. From memory, I think it cost me about a fiver.
You live and learn........
david