British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-04-13, 02:35 PM

Default Berks Yeomanry Badges - Opinions please.

Hi chaps

Can anybody out there tell me if these are original contemporary cap badges or copies made yesterday?

Many thanks

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Berks Yeo & AVC 002.jpg (98.1 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg Berks Yeo & AVC 003.jpg (98.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg Berks Yeo & AVC 004.jpg (90.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 05-04-13, 04:18 PM

Hi Rob, I'm no Guru; like some on the forum. But if faced with these two and had to make a choice; I like the Imperial one. based on the lug attachment, which I think is gold in colour. The other looks to have the foot lugs not liked in general.

It always helps to have them in hand, but this is just based on the seeing what I can in the pics. Someone more know how will chip in a confirm either way
Regards

Simon
Old 05-04-13, 05:43 PM
Mr. Jackanory

I would check that the IY has been gilded or not. It is identical to mine which Dave revived for me.
Matti
Old 05-04-13, 07:39 PM

Rob,

This badge was used from 1902-1961. You can imagine that there was a lot of variations and it takes time to get to know them. However, there are a few general rules you can implement when hunting good'uns:

IY badges I like have 3 loops (positioned as left badge)* and Berks Yeo can have 2 loops (positioned as right photo) and slider versions are found They can be found die cast (early) or die struck (later). The right hand badge of mine had a gaunt plaque at one time but it is there no-more, sadly. Despite what K&K wrote about metals, it can also be found BiM as well as gilt, brass, wm and hallmarked silver.

*I have seen "two loop" IY badges sold by two well-known dealers, although I'm not convinced they are good'uns myself

Garry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0658.jpg (41.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0653.jpg (30.1 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Rockape; 05-04-13 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-04-13, 07:57 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Hello Garry,
I agree with you having handled this badge over the years. Oddly my two loop IY gilded I would be happier if it had three loops but it has stood the test of time and my efforts to brasso off what I thought was aging but infact was gilding.
Yours respectfully
Matti
Old 08-04-13, 01:32 PM

Thank you all for your comments and images.

I started this thread as these two badges had been kicking around for a while and I've never really been that happy/sure about them. I have them as keepsakes, my Great Grandfather Served, though these are not his unfortunately, I wish....
I do not collect Yeomanry, and I don't see enough of these to tell the 'wheat from the chaff'.
However, I was aware of the three loop version of the Berks IY, which to be honest I do favour.
That said, when you look at the two loops on my IY, in particular the manner in which they are fixed, ie. appear to be 'growing' from the badge, and there are signs of gilding on the badge, I'm not sure if this is genuine or just a clever ringer!?
The later badge looks OK ish, loops look in the right place, but have seen better.
I would welcome a few more opinions/comments.
Thanks
Rob
Old 08-04-13, 07:02 PM
Former Member

Rob,
for what my opinion is worth, I'm not a fan of either! The I.Y. I think is certainly wrong! Not the best of images attached (poor light) but the seeding on the originals is very fine and the limbs more defined!

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1003 (2).jpg (97.2 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by 2747andy; 08-04-13 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-04-13, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Rob,
for what my opinion is worth, I'm not a fan of either! The I.Y. I think is certainly wrong! Not the best of images attached (poor light) but the seeding on the originals is very fine and the limbs more defined!

Andy
Thank you for your observations.
Rob
Old 10-04-13, 08:06 PM

Rob, Have a look at this album for Berks Yeo badges:

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=1961