British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-03-24, 11:50 PM

Default Am I missing something?

I have had a Newfoundland badge like this for decades, part of my collection of at least one dozen Canadian badges. I now find this one on Ebay for over
AUD $500, or 250 stg. Just how rare or valuable are they??
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nfld1.jpg (79.6 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg nfld2.jpg (46.5 KB, 33 views)
Old 23-03-24, 01:12 AM

Maybe the same seller who has some lovely VAD badges I'd love to get, but not at his prices.

Terry
Old 23-03-24, 08:41 AM

Newfoundland badges always seem to demand high(er) prices, but not that high! The badge in question has a flat back. I have one also and posed questions about it here https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ead.php?t=2568
Although not getting a definitive answer, in a later thread which I cannot find, it was stated that these flat backed badges were possibly post war collars.
Old 23-03-24, 09:25 AM

Seller is well known for inflated speculative prices.

That it hasn’t sold shows it isn’t worth that.

This badge is one of a pair sold on eBay for £40 each on a Buy It Now, so the new price is some mark-up by any stretch.
Old 23-03-24, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the comments. My badge is certainly WW1 and oes not have a flat back. I kept it in memory of the fine NFLD regiment that was marched straight into concentrated machine gun fire and destroyed for no result, one of the worst of many WW1 occasions like this.
Old 24-04-24, 04:30 AM

Default NEWFOUNDLAND BADGES

I would be very cautious with any Newfoundland badge offered for sale these days, as there are MANY reproduction badge out there. As a recent exercise, I reviewed all the WWI Newfoundland badges that sold on e*** over the period they show completed items. Out of ten I saw, there were two that I liked but I wouldn't purchase any of the others, based on what I could tell from the pictures. Lots of copies of the WWII cap badge, with caribou looking out over NEWFOUNDLAND on ribbon on market as well. If any member is considering purchasing a Newfoundland badge and has detail pictures, if you want to send to me I will give my opinion for what its worth. I have been collecting Newfoundland for thirty years.