British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-03-14, 06:48 AM

Default RFC METAL SILVER WINGS OPINIONS

Can anyone say if these wings are original wartime wings in silver or a fantasy piece?
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2357744_140306185219_Picture_155.jpg (71.1 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 2357744_140306185345_Picture_138.jpg (52.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg 2357744_140306185318_Picture_135.jpg (49.1 KB, 84 views)
Old 12-03-14, 07:29 AM

Default RFC wings

Unfortunately I believe they are fake. This being due to the blade fixings, originals had a brooch fixing.
Check out www.worldofmilitarywings.com and search for royal flying corps metal wings.
Sorry
Paul
Old 12-03-14, 08:12 AM

Thanks thats just saved me 60 Pounds.
Old 12-03-14, 08:23 AM

Genuine Silver badges can be found with blades.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01928.jpg (58.0 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01927.jpg (51.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 12-03-14, 08:33 AM

Default Rfc wings

Hi Badger,
I think the question was specific to the RFC wings,they are in fact a breast badge which was only in use for a very short period pre WW1. I think for an original one you could add a 0 to the £60 asking price.
Paul
Old 12-03-14, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop jockey View Post
Hi Badger,
I think the question was specific to the RFC wings,they are in fact a breast badge which was only in use for a very short period pre WW1. I think for an original one you could add a 0 to the £60 asking price.
Paul
I wouldn't know if these wings are real or not, what I'm saying is that silver badges can be found with blades (although not very common). In this game, nothing should be discounted.

Doesn't the website linked to at #2 say that they were also worn with service dress and service dress badges usually had blades?
Old 12-03-14, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
I wouldn't know if these wings are real or not, what I'm saying is that silver badges can be found with blades (although not very common). In this game, nothing should be discounted.

Doesn't the website linked to at #2 say that they were also worn with service dress and service dress badges usually had blades?
Hi,
The website link I posted clearly states that these these badges with tines/tangs ie blades are copies made post war, it does mention their use on service dress but not with blades, If you think I am giving misinformation in anyway and you know that to be the case then I apologise.
Paul
Old 12-03-14, 08:47 AM

A complete fantasy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionoke View Post
Can anyone say if these wings are original wartime wings in silver or a fantasy piece?
Thanks
Old 12-03-14, 09:36 AM

Smile RFC wings

The RFC wings in question may not be correct, but the RFC did have bronze wings in the same style as shown.

As to the fixings, I'm not sure whether they had blades or brooch fittings, I think blades would have been more favoured.

Rob
Old 15-03-14, 11:21 AM

Here they are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rfc wings.jpg (2.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 24-05-20, 02:59 PM

Default Silver RFC wings

The Honourable Artillery Company of London (Founded 1537) is said to be the oldest regiment of the British Army, albeit this is disputed by the Royal Monmouthshire Militia. In 1830 King William IV decreed that the HAC would wear the same uniform as that of the Grenadier Guards with gold lace and gold buttons replaced by lace and buttons in silver. This applied to the Infantry Battalion, the Artillery Division and the Jagers at the time. After WW2 the Army Dress Committee reiterated these regulations for the Infantry Bn. Hence all rank badges, trade and qualification badges were in silver instead of gold. Thus RAF wings would be in silver wire for No 1 Dress (Blues) and Mess Dress. During my service in the 1960s I had a colleague who had been an RAF Sqn Ldr and he wore silver wire wings on No. Dress. Many members of the HAC transferred to the RFC during WW1 and many would have returned to the HAC afterwards. They would thus have been eligible to wear RFC wings in silver wire on No.1 and Mess Dress. It is thus possible that the full-size and miniature-size RFC silver metal wings might also have been worn although they had been replaced by wire versions by that time. However, I have as yet found no photographic evidence of such RFC wings in wear. Today I work in the HAC Museum and Archives.