British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-11-14, 09:04 PM

Sorry for not coming back in earlier, I've just merged my practice with another and been rather tied up with other matters.
Yes there are many communities in Wales where day to day matters are conducted solely yn Gymraeg.
We have a family place in Newport, Pembs where even I ask for things in the shops & boozers in Welsh. I also use it for business in both West & North Wales, although I can't understand the Gogs when they talk back to me. Seriously, some of the words are completely different.
My daughter thinks in Welsh and then converts back to English.
I understand that the highest concentration of Welsh speakers is now in Cardiff, contrary to what you may think. Population size & number of kids in Welsh medium schools.
However, not everything needs to be bilingual and politicians should should not use it as a weapon for the minority. Nor should we even consider non British languages being forced upon us.
Welsh is a living language and is growing within the middle class who now see it as the medium of choice for the education of their children & wish to contribute to the continued use of it.
Hwyl fawr a cofion gorau,
Kevin
Old 19-11-14, 09:35 PM

I should add that I live in a road of 9 houses in Cardiff, of which 4 are Welsh speaking. For us it is used just as a day to day means of communication.
Old 22-11-14, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussar100 View Post
What Gregory Campbell has done in a sleekit and funny way is to draw public attention to the creeping Irishness SF are guilty of. He has shown the stupidity of speaking Irish in the NI commons. Nolan was also able to highlight the fact that £250,000 pa is spent in the assembly translating all documents into Irish when we have no native Irish speakers in the Province.

There was also a guy on Nolan who is a professor of Irish or something and he said him and his friends do this all the time, making up English sentences in a parody of Irish.
And how much is spent translating documents into Ulster Scots?
Old 22-11-14, 05:08 PM

And the honest answer to that is I don't know, but I do know that it is too much!
Eddie
Old 22-11-14, 09:52 PM

Maybe Gregory is on to something, should he contact Yoplait or Danone?

Heres another bit of Irish for Greg to get his mouth around

Poor old Greg his name is old Gaelic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campbell_%28surname%29
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16th div.jpg (97.6 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by connaught; 23-11-14 at 12:13 AM.
Old 23-11-14, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintconor View Post
And how much is spent translating documents into Ulster Scots?
I don't know. I hope it's nothing as that would be an utter waste of time and public money because we all know that Lallans is really just English spoken with a heavy accent.

I should say mate: there is no political agenda here. Just honest opinions. I've said it before and I'll say it again; there isn't a sectarian bone in my body. The big problem these days however is that if you air your views and they don't concur with Uncle Peter or Uncle Martin and their respective parties then you're going to attract criticism from somebody.

I'm all for total honesty and no historical revisionism.