British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-02-18, 05:00 PM

Smile Proof at last

Many years ago when I first started collection badges I saw a blackened Cheshire Regiment badge for sale (which I failed to get) on one of the lists I used to receive. The seller described it as blackened brass, but did not know which battalion. Also in Colin Churchill’s book on collar badges he states the same thing. I have at last got proof off two postcards I bought from Canada. On one card is of the 1st VB Cheshire battalion band and on the bass drum is seen the South Africa battle honour, which date the card to 1905-08, they are wearing blackened cap and collar badges and blackened waist belt clasps which I have never seen before.
On the other is a clear shot of the collar badge, but his head is turned so the cap badges can’t be seen. The question is would the brass badges been made with lugs and would that account for the amount of brass Cheshire badges in the lugs v slider in the economy badge debate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1st CRV with blackend collar badges copy.jpg (47.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg img114.jpg (53.1 KB, 101 views)
Old 01-02-18, 07:15 PM

Default Cheshire VB badge

Would the 1st VB Cheshire cap badge be just a normal blackened brass or would it have "1st VB " on it?

Rob
Old 01-02-18, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Most likely they were lugged.

Often one of the Bns in the VBs did not have VB in their titles but used a different metal from the Regulars. It was then left to the others to use VB in titles to differentiate. There was no hard and fast rule.
Old 01-02-18, 08:37 PM

I have Officer's bronze cap badges to the 1st and 4th VB and a white metal OR's to the 4th with a second scroll. I have never seen a blackened one with or without a second scroll.