British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 31-10-12, 09:16 AM

Default Commonwealth Div Patch

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Korean-War...item589732c527

£62, 13 bidders, four days to go - and a replica! I don't believe that's remotely credible. The original isn't worth nearly as much!

BP
Old 31-10-12, 09:24 AM

I haven't heard of the seller, but it seems he's OK from his feedback, but there must be some sort of explanation!
Old 31-10-12, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigade Piron View Post
I haven't heard of the seller, but it seems he's OK from his feedback, but there must be some sort of explanation!
I buy from this seller a lot and have faith in him. Looking at the item I do not know if it is real or not but the seller at no time says that it is an original item and offers a full refund if not satisfied

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 31-10-12, 11:04 AM

Oh, it's real alright. It's a real veterans association (of Canada, I believe) patch in imitation of the type they wore in the 1st Commonwealth Div in Korea. You can buy them for about $5 on the internet from the association, along with a similar 25th Brigade type.

The merrowed edge is the massive clue. Very hard to get confused with a real one, and the going rate for a real one is £30 absolute maximum, less for an embroidered type! For £62, I'd want proof that it was worn by General MacArthur as he stormed Kim Jong-Il's bunker!
Old 31-10-12, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigade Piron View Post
Oh, it's real alright. It's a real veterans association (of Canada, I believe) patch in imitation of the type they wore in the 1st Commonwealth Div in Korea. You can buy them for about $5 on the internet from the association, along with a similar 25th Brigade type.

The merrowed edge is the massive clue. Very hard to get confused with a real one, and the going rate for a real one is £30 absolute maximum, less for an embroidered type! For £62, I'd want proof that it was worn by General MacArthur as he stormed Kim Jong-Il's bunker!
Agreed. Whoever pays £62 + for this must be rather confused. It's really bizarre that a repro sells for more than the genuine.
Old 31-10-12, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jackson View Post
Agreed. Whoever pays £62 + for this must be rather confused. It's really bizarre that a repro sells for more than the genuine.
Perhaps the 3 bidders know something we don't. During years of collecting and looking at notable formation signs collections, I have never seen this example. I cannot recall seeing it mentioned in any book or pamphlet on the subject.
I await incoming
Old 31-10-12, 10:30 PM

I am of BP opinion's.....a cheap repro of a patch that came out in the Korean war.Also, the back is covered in wax/glue substance which is not a period product.I have seen this stuff on new/modern combat cap badges.
Stay away from that item.
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 01-11-12, 03:25 AM

At the bottom of this link are examples of the 1st Commonwealth Division patch

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/orga...thdivision.htm

I agree a modern repro: two bidders slogging it out.

Cheers
Chris
Old 01-11-12, 08:11 AM

I acquired the badge in the attached photo from a Kings Regiment veteran ( also got his brassard which is also pictured )

The man bought the wire embroidered version of the sign on the way home to the UK ( cant remember where, he did tell me) but he never wore it.

I have previously not considered ( genuine ) examples of this particular sign to be scarce, looks like I was wrong.

P.B.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0100.jpg (76.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0101.jpg (61.5 KB, 35 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 01-11-12, 09:02 AM

Just my two-penneth. I can think of two past examples. 1. When the Air Cadets (Air Training Corps) devised a TRF-style badge for their combat jackets, there was an almighty bidding war for one, going north of 20 pounds. 2. The British TRF of the Assyrian Winged Lion (MND SW?) - the first I saw sold nearly reached £30. Is it a case of 'this is the first one seen on sale and I want it first'?

Both those badges are now selling for less than £5.
Old 01-11-12, 09:21 AM
Jonesy

Hi all he is a forum members Cultman Collectables and i have had some good collars badges of him so some one ask him about this badge

Jonesy
Old 01-11-12, 09:39 AM
Administrator

I've changed the title of this thread. If the item has sold at a £1 I'm sure it wouldn't have received its previous provocative title. Perhaps 'ignorant ebay buyers' would have been more appropriate?
Old 01-11-12, 10:04 AM

another genuine one.
Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg com 001 (567x640).jpg (58.8 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-11-12, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Just to confirm, this badge is a repro. It was available in some context for Korean Vets. The backing is a plastic material that is found on a lot of modern embroidered patches. Additionally, this patch has the heavy merrowed edge, another trait found on more recently made Canadian insignia. These borders were not found on Korean era patches.
Old 01-11-12, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thfoot View Post

I have previously not considered ( genuine ) examples of this particular sign to be scarce, looks like I was wrong.

P.B.
They aren't really. I bought one on epay a couple of months ago, correctly labelled &c. Paid about £6, admittedly QC. Bought a bullion KC one about a year ago for twenty.

By the way, I found a pic of "the set":