British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-06-11, 09:24 PM

Default 2 badges on raf beret

hi guys,not being au fait with RAF insignia i will throw this into the thinktank.
I was looking through my late fathers photos recently and one seemed to stand out , it was a photo taken about 1950-51 when he started his National Service and was probably RAF ST ATHANS but what appeared odd to me was the beret he wore had two badges on it,obviously one being the standard RAF capbadge the other somewhat smaller ,I cannot post a picture for a while but could it have been an apprentice badge?if not i am at a loss to what it may be although to my knowledge my Dad wasnt an apprentice.
kind regards neil
Old 13-06-11, 10:47 PM
Banned

Difficult to say without a photograph. However, there is only one precedent for the wearing of two badges on headgear and I don't think it was your dad. David
Old 13-06-11, 11:11 PM

if it's a small circle behind it he'd an officer cadet, if it's a small paw he's a dog handler.

Old 13-06-11, 11:12 PM

Besides Monty there was also the Kings Colonials who wore more than one badge on the headdress. The Gloucesters also wore 2 badges. Not sure if there are anymore. Anyone got a picture of Monty wearing 2 cap badges one of which was the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry? I am sure i have seen one but cannot seem to find it again.
Cheers, Dave
Old 13-06-11, 11:23 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Deejayuu; The Gloucesters also wore 2 badges. Not sure if there are anymore. .
Cheers, Dave[/QUOTE]

Not wishing to go too off topic or hijack the thread but:

"The regular battalions of the Rifles wear the Back Badge with ceremonial dress, and officers and warrant officers wear it on side hats. The Back Badge is also worn by the Band and Bugles of The Rifles on the ‘shako’.

Back badge day is celebrated on the 21st day of March each year."

Courtesy of http://www.glosters.org/bbadge.htm

Ry

Last edited by Charlie585; 13-06-11 at 11:41 PM.
Old 13-06-11, 11:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejayuu View Post
Besides Monty there was also the Kings Colonials who wore more than one badge on the headdress. The Gloucesters also wore 2 badges. Not sure if there are anymore. Anyone got a picture of Monty wearing 2 cap badges one of which was the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry? I am sure i have seen one but cannot seem to find it again.
Cheers, Dave
Were we REALLY talking about back badges ? Somehow I don't think so.
Old 13-06-11, 11:53 PM

Airman in training used different coloured round badge backings. Regards the Bloody Red Paw I think this would be much too early for that and I'm not sure if RAF Police handlers ever wore the badge in NI.(or Wales) Regards, Paul.
Old 14-06-11, 09:49 AM

hi all,

have to agree with war dog.when i was training at swinderby in 72 we wore a blue roundal behind the cap badge on berets and the wore a green roundel when at catterick when training as a regt recurit.

dont know when the red paw was brought in but never saw a raf dog handler with one

philip
Old 14-06-11, 03:41 PM

Hi All

I have seen a KC RAF cap badge (Brass) with a Brass number 1 numeral attached to the top. This was worn at RAF Halton, possibly by apprentices. Maybe a similar thing was worn at St Athan.

I only ever saw 1 of these, Cpl Ginge Logan, RAFP doghandler found it in the woods on camp whilst 'on patrol'. I think I can recall it going to the little museum at Halton. Not sure of the dates it was worn as he found it about 15 years ago.

Just a thought.

Bill

Just found this one:http://www.britairforce.com/raf_rankbadges_3.htm

Last edited by Snowdrop 68; 14-06-11 at 03:57 PM.
Old 14-06-11, 04:09 PM

Gentleman gentlemen please!

Can we agree that the acceptable abbreviation for Royal Air Force is RAF and not the scruffy nasty raf. We don't do that to GG or MGC or RA, do we?

Please!
Old 14-06-11, 04:58 PM

I think it was yellow at RAF Swinderby 11 years after you Philip, but red and blue are in my head for some reason also. Disapointed with my memory. Perhaps that was later in training. Was RAF St Athan a National Service school for basic recruit training in the 1950's?. Regards, Paul.

From WiKi:

After the war, airmen of the Airframe and Engine trades continued to train at St Athan, but in 1955 this training dispersed to RAF Kirkham and RAF Weeton. 4SofTT then became a Boy Entrant School, with new recruits being trained in engine and airframe mechanics, and armament, electrical and instrument mechanics.[2] It was at this time that approval was given by the Airforce Board of the Defence Council for the formation of 2300 Sqn ATC. Following the demise of the Boy Entrant scheme in 1965, airman training returned to St Athan for the vehicle and general (non-aircraft) maintenance trades.

http://britisharmedforces.org/ns/nat_raf_index.htm

Last edited by wardog; 14-06-11 at 05:38 PM.
Old 14-06-11, 05:30 PM

Here at Honington RAF Regt recruits wear different coloured discs to distinguish the flights on training wing.
Black, blue, redf, green, white and yellow.

Did I miss something, who badmouthed the RAF?

Bill
Old 14-06-11, 05:39 PM

Default update to 2 badge RAF beret

Sorry Gents,bit of confusion here,there are two seperate badges visible,not backings,the smaller insignia is positioned to the wearers right of the RAF insignia, I will post a picture as soon as I can.thanks again neil