British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-11-11, 03:30 PM

Default a fox strike

Hello,

I just had a badge described to me as a " Fox strike " should I assume this means re-strike, or does it mean something else..

Albert.
Old 23-11-11, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appie_b View Post
Hello,

I just had a badge described to me as a " Fox strike " should I assume this means re-strike, or does it mean something else..

Albert.
A company Fox re-struck the pre-territorial glengarry badges around the turn of the 20th century and they've been known as Fox restrikes ever since.
Old 23-11-11, 06:14 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Hello,

Albert.
In addition to what Keith has said, K&K Vol1 and 2 have about a page of text on this company and the restrikes they made - never mind the copies that are being turned out by the ton now. If you are going to 'get into' Glengarries there a few books - not cheap - that will help you avoid(?) badges being sold as original (and not just by unscrupulous Ebay sellers...). Its not easy, so good luck. Striking at the front and rear, the lug position and its fixing, voided/unvoided, metals, and last but not least, the worn orb (where appropriate) at the top.
Old 23-11-11, 09:12 PM

Default Fox Company restrikes

Hello Albert,
I realize it is only a very limited amount of information, but you may want to visit the following page on my blog; http://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2011/0...x-company.html. Hope that this is of some help.
Regards,
Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Old 23-11-11, 09:47 PM

Thanks for the replies,

The badge I was after is a 25 regt of foot kings own borderers Glengarry badge. It looked good and had age to it.

According to the seller, the Fox strikes are considered originals which seems to be a bit of a contradiction to me now..

I am looking for this badge to frame it together with my KOSB collection. Would anyone have an indication what a real one would go for ?

maybe I have been a good boy, and Santa will be in a good mood this year

Albert.
Old 24-11-11, 08:33 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Thanks for the replies,

The badge I was after is a 25 regt of foot kings own borderers Glengarry badge. It looked good and had age to it.

According to the seller, the Fox strikes are considered originals which seems to be a bit of a contradiction to me now..

I am looking for this badge to frame it together with my KOSB collection. Would anyone have an indication what a real one would go for ?

maybe I have been a good boy, and Santa will be in a good mood this year

Albert.
Albert, 'Fox' copies are NOT considered originals - except the dealer seling you the badge..... If thats what you want, try the famous Antique dealer from Glamorgan - gap fillers - for sure; an original could cost you between 100..200 pounds (or even more, check the auction house prices). A 'Fox copy', possibly 50-80ukp. A modern day repro 10 to 20. You 'takes your choice and pays your money'. Good luck, david
Old 24-11-11, 12:33 PM

Thanks David,

good info

Albert.