British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Other Army Departments and Corps Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-05-18, 05:51 PM

Default REME

A tall story or not. About 25 years ago I picked up the badge 2nd from the left at a jumble sale for 50p I think. I checked out literature and couldn’t really find any reference to it. Then a mate at that time said it was produced in India when REME was formed based on the interpretation of the formation order. Later it was withdrawn and the correct one issued. I never really was a believer but didn’t have a better story.

Anyone out there think it was a tall story?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DC4C4D9F-8761-413D-867E-425410AD7B1F.jpg (46.8 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg 79B42351-CB76-4FC6-A2AF-F1F68B80F507.jpg (43.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 27-05-18, 06:33 PM

The Quetta badge, true story.

Rgds, Thomas
Old 27-05-18, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fougasse1940 View Post
The Quetta badge, true story.

Rgds, Thomas
Wow, thanks Thomas I always thought he was pulling my leg!
Old 27-05-18, 08:09 PM

Smile REME

I was always under the impression that REME were first formed in the Western Desert in 1942, primarily to recover armoured vehicles to be repaired and sent back into service.

Rob
Old 27-05-18, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I was always under the impression that REME were first formed in the Western Desert in 1942, primarily to recover armoured vehicles to be repaired and sent back into service.

Rob
Formed on 1st Oct 1942 from RAOC, RE and RASC. Battle of El Alamein was first action.
Old 27-05-18, 08:38 PM

Question REME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmiggy View Post
Formed on 1st Oct 1942 from RAOC, RE and RASC. Battle of El Alamein was first action.
I am not too hot on dates, but why was the badge made at Quetta and why was it raised there?
Old 27-05-18, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonofacqms View Post
I am not too hot on dates, but why was the badge made at Quetta and why was it raised there?
It was a story I was told regarding formation of REME LADs in India and the badge in the picture was the first one used. They subsequently discovered it was a wrong interpretation and discarded the badges and the correct one was issued.

Alternatively the badge may of come from anywhere? I don’t know the answers, I was hoping someone on here might?
Old 27-05-18, 09:30 PM

Default REME

I to was hoping to find out why this particular badge was made in India, was it a trial pattern, later discarded?

Rob
Old 27-05-18, 09:50 PM

I don't think it's meant that the REME was formed in India, but that the troops re badging to the new REME where ever they were in the world needed a cap badge, the Units in India had the description but had never seen the badge so it was made up locally from the description.......hence the misinterpretation.

A fantastic find of a much sought after badge, I have seen it sell for ridiculous amounts of money.
Regards
Sean
Old 27-05-18, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper533 View Post
I don't think it's meant that the REME was formed in India, but that the troops re badging to the new REME where ever they were in the world needed a cap badge, the Units in India had the description but had never seen the badge so it was made up locally from the description.......hence the misinterpretation.

A fantastic find of a much sought after badge, I have seen it sell for ridiculous amounts of money.
Regards
Sean
Thanks Sean, only trouble is, the wife was looking over my shoulder when I read this and she wants you to describe ridiculous on pound notes.

There is a moral there somewhere.
Ian
Old 23-07-19, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmiggy View Post
A tall story or not. About 25 years ago I picked up the badge 2nd from the left at a jumble sale for 50p I think. I checked out literature and couldn’t really find any reference to it. Then a mate at that time said it was produced in India when REME was formed based on the interpretation of the formation order. Later it was withdrawn and the correct one issued. I never really was a believer but didn’t have a better story.

Anyone out there think it was a tall story?
The story is correct. The description was misinterpreted by the makers in Quetta which is now in Pakistan but was India at the time. It was worn from October 1942 until supplies of the new badge arrived in February 1943.
Old 24-07-19, 07:09 AM

Here's my two, see post 7.
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ghlight=quetta
Drmiggy. Your badge looks to be smaller than a cap badge, so possibly a collar? If so I didn't know that the Quetta badge was also made as collars, but logically I suppose it would have been.
Old 24-07-19, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep View Post
Here's my two, see post 7.
https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ghlight=quetta
Drmiggy. Your badge looks to be smaller than a cap badge, so possibly a collar? If so I didn't know that the Quetta badge was also made as collars, but logically I suppose it would have been.
Hi Jeep

Do you know dimensions of yours and I can compare? By the way 79C - what about you?
Old 24-07-19, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Do you know dimensions of yours and I can compare? By the way 79C - what about you?
Well, I think you are the jeep! Arborfield 62A A Coy. Both my badges are 40mm x 40mm give or take a mil.
Old 24-07-19, 08:50 PM

From the REME History with my notes in red

The early years of the Second World War brought the realisation that the existing repair system was not able to support the massive scale of equipment being deployed in every theatre. Following on from recommendations made by a Cabinet committee, under the chairmanship of Sir William Beveridge, the REME Corps was created.

Such a major re-organisation was too complex to be carried out quickly and completely in the middle of the War. It was decided that the changeover would be undertaken in two phases.

The first phase, implemented in 1942 saw the REME Corps being formed on the existing [engendering] branch of the Royal Army Ordnance Corps (RAOC) and supported by the transfer of certain technical tradesmen from the Royal Engineers (RE) and Royal Army Service Corps (RASC).

[These early REME Workshops continued to be co-located with RAOC Field Parks they were once part of]

The new Corps was made responsible for repairing the technical equipment of all units (with certain major exceptions).

Soon after it’s formation, REME was tested at the Battle of El-Alamein and proved successful.

It was formed 'worldwide' on the same date

Wanted Poppy Pins