British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-05-18, 05:36 PM

Default Recent acquisition - RTR bronze right-face

At last really pleased to have added one of these to the collection.

Slightly odd design with the crown siting so low in the wreath, does anyone know if this is a style of the manufacturer, Jennens & Co, or a quirk of this design or my inexperience?
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTC_OfficersRightFace_fr.jpg (46.8 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg RTC_OfficersRightFace_rr.jpg (37.1 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by rac1944; 30-05-18 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Corrected manufacturer name.
Old 25-05-18, 05:50 PM

I think I'm one of a few envious people out there
Old 25-05-18, 06:23 PM

A lovely badge, right at the end of Jennens manufacturing before taken over by Gaunt
I’m sure they were called Royal Tank Corps when this was made c.1923
Paul
Old 25-05-18, 06:27 PM

Stunning find mate ....we like the same stuff lol
Old 25-05-18, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Spellman View Post
A lovely badge, right at the end of Jennens manufacturing before taken over by Gaunt
I’m sure they were called Royal Tank Corps when this was made c.1923
Paul
You’re absolutely correct, silly typo on my part, should read RTC not RTR.
Old 26-05-18, 05:05 PM

It is a very odd design, you would certainly not expect to see something like that from Jennens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac1944 View Post
At last really pleased to have added one of these to the collection.

Slightly odd design with the crown siting so low in the wreath, does anyone know if this is a style of the manufacturer, Jenner & Co, or a quirk of this design or my inexperience?
John

Last edited by Frank Kelley; 26-05-18 at 07:15 PM.
Old 26-05-18, 07:37 PM

A very interesting badge, Jennens always seem to have made top quality items and this exudes quality if not a bit quirky.

Jerry
Old 26-05-18, 07:52 PM

Hi John, very interesting badge. It is one of the very few to show the unditching beam rail on the top of the tank, the only other one that springs to mind is the Canadian Borden tank school badge. Both my J&Co badges are completely different, that's not to say yours is wrong, just different. Is it possible to have less dark images of the badge and a size would be good, sorry to be so demanding but it certainly is a curious badge, thanks for showing and best wishes, see you at a show soon I hope, Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04669.jpg (68.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04670.jpg (40.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 26-05-18, 07:57 PM

Superb quality.
Andy
Old 26-05-18, 08:05 PM

Hi John, looking at your tank badge, it is very redolent of a TC badge. Maybe it is an interim design stage, certainly the design I have is similar to the F&S silver 1923 badge:- double lines of rivets, no unditching frame and a less round nosed tank. Just musings nothing definitive but would love to know, let me know if you come across anything, best wishes Mike
Old 27-05-18, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi John, very interesting badge. It is one of the very few to show the unditching beam rail on the top of the tank, the only other one that springs to mind is the Canadian Borden tank school badge. Both my J&Co badges are completely different, that's not to say yours is wrong, just different. Is it possible to have less dark images of the badge and a size would be good, sorry to be so demanding but it certainly is a curious badge, thanks for showing and best wishes, see you at a show soon I hope, Mike
Thanks Mike, yes the pics are too dark really, I’ll do some with the camera rather than phone & hopefully get a bit more clarity. I’ll do the dims as well.
It has come from an old collection and the price was sensible, that and the quality look and of course feel, I’m not overly concerned there’s anything wrong, but the fake badge devil is always ready to gnaw
John
Old 27-05-18, 03:12 PM

Well, I don't think it is in anyway fake, I would think it was a sample of some sort that they made before starting production of their usual OSD cap badge for the Corps, a really lovely thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rac1944 View Post
Thanks Mike, yes the pics are too dark really, I’ll do some with the camera rather than phone & hopefully get a bit more clarity. I’ll do the dims as well.
It has come from an old collection and the price was sensible, that and the quality look and of course feel, I’m not overly concerned there’s anything wrong, but the fake badge devil is always ready to gnaw
John
Old 28-05-18, 04:53 PM

Thanks everyone for your comments, I didn't hesitate to buy it partly because of it's quirkiness.

Frank & Mike, I think you are both on the trail with your thoughts of a trial or intermediate pattern. Hopefully the new pics attached will illustrate it better and I've also taken it alongside a TC and an ORs RTC right face. The design influence from the TC badge then really leaps out, particularly the wreath work and the ribbon tails of the motto but why they dropped the crown into the hunched position will probably always be baffling.

Dimensions are Height (extremities) 45mm, Width (ditto) 37mm, the tank is 34mm nose to tail and 12.5mm high across the outline line.
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RTC_OfficersRightFace_fr.jpg (54.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg RTC_OfficersRightFace_rr.jpg (38.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg TC_RTC_RTCwmRightFace_fr.jpg (34.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg RTC_OfficersRightFace_fr_WithTankCorps.jpg (43.6 KB, 26 views)
Old 29-05-18, 06:44 PM

Hi John, thanks for the images and size. There is not much I can add, other than to say there are a couple design features that were carried on in the JRG badges. The track tensioners are represented by two equal discs, most other manufactures have the forward one larger, and the rivets around the MG port are continuous, most other manufactures have the correct seven rivets for the Mk V male tank. I'm sure I can get tablets for my OCD, hope this helps in some way but I think without positive identification it's all speculation, best wishes Mike
Old 30-05-18, 06:21 AM

Just to add my appreciation of you posting such an interesting variant which I have not seen before. Gut feeling suggests interim design as others more expert than I have speculated. Thanks for posting. Another interesting thread.
Mike