British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 21-06-18, 12:13 PM

You may be right, Khyber. I just wondered at the combination of size and a vertical pin, and hadn't given a lot of thought to the composition of what was, as you say, a locally recruited unit, though Sikhs are fairly ubiquitous in that part of the world.

Hmmm.
Old 22-06-18, 01:48 AM

Smile

Yes, Peter,
The Sikhs are spread around the country. I live in Bangalore, and it's just now that I realised that there are not too many Sikhs here. In Bombay, which is my real home, there are quite a few Sikh colonies so you see more of them.

I had thought of collecting Police badges to British colonies where Sikhs were in the force to fit in with my 'Indian Police' theme, so would mean Singapore, the Straits Settlements, HK, Shanghai, but the badges don't come up too often.

A few years ago I very missed an excellent Straits Settlements Police badge here in India - was selling for 1.5 gbp on ebay India! I could not figure out what the initials meant. I thought it was a Patiala State badge but could not account for the extra 'S' and let go..It was only later when I saw a similar one on Barry Renfrew's ebay site that I realised what it was ...Hopefully it will turn up some time.

Best wishes!
Old 22-06-18, 12:40 PM

Khyber

Yes, I was thinking of the various imperial forces - Singapore and HK came to mind at once - who recruited Sikhs as police and I gather that until recently, possibly still, many high end hotels and other businesses in Hong Kong used Sikhs as doormen/security, much as the Gurkhas seem to be used elsewhere in that part of the world.

Peter