British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-06-18, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
Thought this would be the best place to show this photographic postcard I have.

This Man is wearing what appears to be the badge of the Northumberland Fusiliers in his raincoat lapel.

Photographed and posted from Brighton, Sussex 18th, August 1919 and sent to an address in London.

Simon.
I missed this one, Simon. Thanks for posting.

JT
Old 14-02-20, 02:55 PM

An old but interesting thread which I thought was the best place to show this photograph from my archives. Appears to show an Essex Regiment cap badge on the lapel of the suit jacket, unfortunately no identifying details as I remember.

Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SUNP0040.jpg (33.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg SUNP0041.jpg (38.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 14-02-20, 05:34 PM

Interesting thread, some great images.
Tony.
Old 13-08-23, 12:50 PM

Another postcard arrived showing the badge of the South Wales Borderers worn in the lapel and and what appears to be a cloth wound stripe sewn to the left cuff of his jacket. Studio details to the reverse for 'Sargent, 249 Holton Road, Barry'.

Simon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1691930311560 (2).jpg (25.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20230813_133545 (2).jpg (30.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20230813_133608 (2).jpg (31.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 13-08-23, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Here is the whole photo:

Attachment 141005

I recently missed out on acquiring a similar photo of a larger group of men with wound stripes on what appeared to be civilian clothes. Given the stigma during the Great War period attached to men of service age who were not seen in uniform at home, it is not surprising why this sort of thing might have been done (SWBs notwithstanding).

Not only that, but who is to say that many of these men were not proud of their service and sacrifice and happy to show it in this manner?

Anyone else have similar pics?
WHAT a fantastic photograph! You know when people play that game of "name three people, dead or alive, who you'd invite to a dinner party" and they all come up with meaningless celebrity's and over-valued world leaders....Forget it!! I'd have these three blokes over every time, just imagine the things they could tell you!! Brilliant picture, thanks for sharing!
Old 13-08-23, 03:45 PM

What an excellent and interesting thread!!! I have a patch that is still sewn to a piece of suit material and I suspect it is much the same. Here's a picture of my Drivers Qualification badge still sewn to a piece of navy blue pinstripe suit. Sorry it's not more clear, but you shoudl be able to see the pinstripes.

DSCF5984.jpg

Terry

Last edited by Home Guard; 14-08-23 at 12:55 AM.
Old 14-08-23, 12:58 AM

A really interesting thread, no doubt there are similar pictures of Australians.
Has there ever been a thread about British military groups wearing civilian badges on military uniform?
I think we have only ever had a thread about Australian 'Accredited Organisations' (e.g. Red Cross, Comforts Fund, Salvos, Telcom, Campaigners For Christ, Naval Auxiliary Patrol) because of the Geneva Convention concerning capture in civilian dress near the front line.
Old 14-10-23, 02:49 PM

A cracking picture from Neil R. Storey’s ‘Norfolk in the Great War - A Pictorial History’(p.94):

IMG_7429.jpgIMG_7430.jpg

Caption reads:

‘The future NCOs of the Norfolk Regiment Service Battalions; no uniforms yet but cap badges are worn with pride in the lapel and the all important stripes pinned to their sleeves.’

JT