British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-06-14, 06:28 AM

Default D Day- Liverpool Irish Piper

A member in Canada has very kindly sent me a copy of a picture which is in the current (Canadian ) Legion Magazine ( thank you Eric ). It shows soldiers preparing for D Day being entertained by a Piper of the Liverpool Irish.

The Piper is Frank Murray who went on to serve with the Liverpool Irish Pipes and Drums in the 1950`s. The Liverpool Irish served as part of No.7 Beach Group on D Day.

Also visible in the photo are examples of the Beach Group sign being worn on top of the sign of the 3rd Canadian Division.

( I don't know if any other members were watching this lot on E bay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8th-GHQ-En...p2047675.l2557 before it was pulled.I understand the items sold off E bay for £250 )

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 04-06-14, 09:01 AM

An outstanding image. The two signs were also worn in this format by 8 Beach Group.

8 Beach Group (5 R Berks) 102 Beach Sub Area

From the R Berks history: "No 8 Beach Group was to establish and maintain first lines of supply for 3 Can Inf Div, Second Army....The old divisional sign (54 Inf Div) was replaced by a rectangular blue (sic) patch on which was superimposed the Beach Group sign of a "fouled anchor" with the regimental Brandywine flash beneath it.

My example:
Beach Groups 3 Can Div.jpg
Old 04-06-14, 02:32 PM

Peter,
Frank Murray was Pipe Major of the Liverpool Irish from 1963 to 1967 when they were part of the 470 (3rd West Lancs) L.A.A. Regiment Royal Artillery. I assume that is the same Frank Murray. Does anyone know his year/place of birth?
Aad
Old 04-06-14, 04:06 PM

Aad,

PM sent.

Regards

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 04-06-14, 08:28 PM

I would say those are Brian Boru pipes he's playing too - very unusual. Only ever seen in one or two Irish regiments, including the Royal Irish Fusiliers, to the best of my knowledge and dropped by everybody years ago.

What a jaunty angle his caubeen is at too - I wonder was there anything alcoholic around just then?

Superb picture mate. So glad to have seen it.
Old 10-06-14, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboode View Post
Peter,
Frank Murray was Pipe Major of the Liverpool Irish from 1963 to 1967 when they were part of the 470 (3rd West Lancs) L.A.A. Regiment Royal Artillery. I assume that is the same Frank Murray. Does anyone know his year/place of birth?
Aad
Frank lived in a street just off the bottom of brunswick rd liverpool all of the time i knew him and as far as i can remember worked for the Post Office in Town he had children who will be in their 50.60s now so someone should be able to give you more info if this pic is displayed
the comment about the caubeen is this is how the caubeen is worn over the left i will contact a good friend of mine Tommy Savage EX PM of 103 regt and L/Pool Scottish and see if he has any info on Frank Eric
Old 10-06-14, 04:30 PM

AFAIK the only outfit to wear the caubeen badge over the right eye is the London Irish Regiment.
Old 10-06-14, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
A member in Canada has very kindly sent me a copy of a picture which is in the current (Canadian ) Legion Magazine ( thank you Eric ). It shows soldiers preparing for D Day being entertained by a Piper of the Liverpool Irish.

The Piper is Frank Murray who went on to serve with the Liverpool Irish Pipes and Drums in the 1950`s. The Liverpool Irish served as part of No.7 Beach Group on D Day.

Also visible in the photo are examples of the Beach Group sign being worn on top of the sign of the 3rd Canadian Division.

( I don't know if any other members were watching this lot on E bay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8th-GHQ-En...p2047675.l2557 before it was pulled.I understand the items sold off E bay for £250 )

P.B.

Frank and one other to his left are the only ones i see in this pic wearing the Caubeen which I believe the hackle is Green over red also this fellow i wouldnt be absolutly sure he does have a slight resemblance to Bobby Dunn he was Sgt Bass Drummer in the Band also a member of the Group and became Drum Major when Frank Kelly left about 1962 also there was a age limit of i believe 48 that a person could stay in the TA which most of these guys stayed till that age which to some coincided to the Amalgamation into 103 Regt and the discontinuance of the Liverpool Irish Pipes and Drums which was 470 R,ATA, at the time
Old 10-06-14, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

The Canadian soldier grinning at the camera is Royal Winnipeg Rifles, and the fellow in the top right corner of the image appears to be Highland Light Infantry of Canada.
Old 02-06-18, 06:05 PM

Hi
I am Steve Murray. .It's my dad, Frank Murray , playing the bagpipes on the photo shown on your forum.
I have never seen this photo before and I have shared it with my brothers & Sisters. I can share a photo of my dad playing the bagpipes, that was on display in the Liverpool museum. Do you have any other photos of him?
He did live in Everton and worked for the Post office.
I look forward to hearing from you
Steve
Old 02-06-18, 07:02 PM

Default Liverpool Irish

There is a book numbered 147 in the Elite series by Osprey publishing called Irish Regiments in the world wars, ISBN 978-1-84603-015-4, an illustration on plate H is of a Pte of the 8th Bn King's Regt (Liverpool Irish), 7th Beach Group; Normandy, 6 june 1944. wearing the Beach Groups anchor on a French Grey rectangular patch of the 3rd Canadian Div. also on page 56 of same book a photo of 2 Pipers (one the Pipe Sgt) with an IWM B7274 number beside it, description says taken in Normandy on Bastille day, 14th July 1944 the Piper can be seen to display the white on red King's Regiment shoulder title, above the Beach Group sign set on 3rd Cdn Div's French-Grey patch. both wear Kilts, sporrans, hose, and ankle puttees with Blanco'd tapes. regards John

Last edited by cavalryman; 02-06-18 at 07:05 PM. Reason: put in 147 book number
Old 03-06-18, 08:48 AM

The illustration is incorrect in that book as the cloth title worn was "The Kings Regiment" and not "Kings Regiment"

P.B.

Old 03-06-18, 05:13 PM

Noted thank's for the correction Peter. regards John
Old 10-11-18, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen murray View Post
Hi
I am Steve Murray. .It's my dad, Frank Murray , playing the bagpipes on the photo shown on your forum.
I have never seen this photo before and I have shared it with my brothers & Sisters. I can share a photo of my dad playing the bagpipes, that was on display in the Liverpool museum. Do you have any other photos of him?
He did live in Everton and worked for the Post office.
I look forward to hearing from you
Steve
hi Steve i am Eric Fawcett i was in the band from 1953 to 1974 when i moved to canada and knew your dad very well and thought very highly of him I am so pleased that this picture got to you and your family i have been a Canadian Legion member for 44yrs and when i found out a bit more of the history of the Liverpool Irish when on holiday in Liverpool i made a point of writing to the editor of the mag to give the Credit due to the 7th beach group which included the Liverpool Irish at Juno Beach enabling the Winnipeg rifles to get ashore they don't want to admit only for the beach group it would have been a lot harder but that's the Canucks for ya i was so surprised when this picture appeared in the Legion Magazine no idea who presented it i showed it to every one i knew especially my Legion Friends .I had some excellent times in the Band with your Dad always had a joke to tell i will see if i have any band pics if so i will get them to you some how so pleased to make this connection also sorry it a bit late i have been down with surgeries for the past months Very Best of Luck t you all Eric