British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 02-01-18, 05:46 PM

Default Rifle green beret with bullion RA badge

Good evening,

I need your advice about this beret, Rifle Green made in Canada, with bullion RA badge on Green backing

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (39.8 KB, 95 views)
Old 03-01-18, 01:36 AM

Default Beret

What sort of advice are you looking for?
Old 03-01-18, 04:55 AM

Hello,

This beret is for the Royal Canadian Horse Artillery (all regular force Regiments are titled "horse").Officers and Warrant Officers wear the bullion badge. This is one of the best berets. The current ones are rubbish.

Happy New Year!

Clay
Old 03-01-18, 04:38 PM

Thank you for your replies. I had the opportunity to buy it for US$ 10, so, thanks to your identification, I just did it.

Happy new year

Laurent
Old 03-01-18, 06:51 PM

Default Beret

Good thing you have not spent much money as the beret is not Canadian military issue. Clay also provided you with some factual errors as to who is authorized to wear bullion badges.
Old 03-01-18, 07:55 PM

The badge does not look like the RCA one, unless it is an old version the Field Gun should be on green grass. The Royal Regiment of Artillery Officers badge stands on gold wire.

Marc
Old 03-01-18, 08:43 PM

Thank you for these new advice. Who wear this Rifle Green beret dated 1985 and made in Toronto ?

Laurent
Old 04-01-18, 04:37 AM

Laurent,

Standing orders for the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery:

7. Small Cap Badge. The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery cap badge is a field gun
surmounted by a scroll inscribed "UBIQUE"; below the gun, a scroll inscribed with the motto "QUO FAS
ET GLORIA DUCUNT"; the whole surmounted by a replica of St. Edward's Crown.

a. An embroidered Artillery badge, 33.5mm high and 43.0mm wide (Insignia Embroidered
Officers RCA), will be worn by qualified Commissioned Officers and Chief Warrant
Officers on CF authorized berets; and

b. NCM’s wear a anodized or highly polished brass Artillery badge 33.5mm high and
43.0mm wide (Insignia Headdress RCA Small, NSN 8455-21-103-2798 ) on CF
authorized berets.

Beret is from the 1980's as shown in the lining. The above quote is from 2011 pdf. http://www.vancouvergunners.ca/uploa...1_aug_2011.pdf

Last edited by Flatdog; 04-01-18 at 06:34 AM.
Old 04-01-18, 02:01 PM

In the latest (Jan 18) Militaria magazine there is a five page illustrated article on berets worn by the Canadian Army 1939-1945. It includes details of cloth backings to beret badges. Mike
Old 04-01-18, 03:44 PM

Default Beret

Mike, my Militaria article on Canadian Army berets and the cloth backing for badges is relevant for the SWW era and it does not apply to the 1980s.

I was glad to see that Clay posted the Standing Orders for the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery identifying that, "An embroidered Artillery badge, 33.5mm high and 43.0mm wide (Insignia Embroidered
Officers RCA), will be worn by qualified Commissioned Officers and Chief Warrant Officers on CF authorized berets." His original e-mail post stated, "Officers and Warrant Officers wear the bullion badge." which is clearly not the case as there are Warrant Officers, Master Warrant Officers and Chief Warrant Officers. An omission of an important detail is very misleading not only to collectors in Canada who do not understand the CF rank structure but those in Europe as well.

The embroidered badges were not provided by the Crown, so they were sold at unit kit shops. Here is an image of the embroidered badge.

Royal Canadian Horse Artillery - QC - Cloth and wire - front copy.jpg

As I stated earlier the beret is not Canadian military issue and appears to be either a U.S. military contract or perhaps a contract for a European NATO country. By the 1980s Dorothea Knitting Mills had been providing good quality berets for the Canadian military for 40 years that had a distinctive generous shape, but many Officers and CWOs preferred a more tighter fitting beret. Berets could also be purchased at unit kit shops and any that I have in my collection were manufactured in Pakistan.

This is an example of the label found in a 1981 dated CF beret.

Canadian CF Beret - 1981 [1].jpg