British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Photographs of Canadian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 27-04-13, 11:05 AM

Default Can you help identifying a uniform please?

I wonder if anyone can help identify the uniform/regiment in the photos below - I'm posting on behalf of a friend:

I posted on a genealogy forum and there was a suggestion that the uniform is Canadian. However, my friend thought the man in question might be Welsh (although I guess he could have served with a Canadian regiment even if he was - please excuse my ignorance!).

I wondered if the collar badge on the zoomed in photo might contain the initials SWB and Googling revealed this could stand for Silver War Badge or South Wales Borderers - however, I cannot find any images that look like they might be the same!

I realise this isn't much to go on. Thanks in advance.

Janet
Old 28-04-13, 09:28 AM
Administrator

bump
Old 28-04-13, 12:28 PM

If I'm correct he's Canadian - identified by the seven button SD Jacket and the fact he's wearing collar badges too - very unusual with British units at this time. On his shoulder strap he's wearing at the top something I can't see, followed possibly by the C.E.F. unit number and below that the title "CANADA" on a downward curving tablet.
Old 28-04-13, 03:25 PM

Do you have a name for him as the Canadian Great War enlistment forms are on line?
Old 28-04-13, 04:18 PM

Therein lies the problem. My friend was given this photo from a family member and they're not entirely sure who he is!

She thought he might be Joseph Henry Cooper, born in 1864 in Reading, Berkshire. If that's the case - and this uniform is from WW1 - then it's unlikely to be him as he would have been 50 in 1914. Also there doesn't appear to be a Canadian connection to Cooper - who by 1891 was living in Wales.

The Canadian aspect is an interesting one. My friend is currently on holiday for a week but I will see if she knows of any Canadian relatives on her return.

Thank you all very much for your help.
Old 30-04-13, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Hi, The soldier appears to be wearing the insignia for the 124th Bn Canadian Expeditionary Force. It was later redesignated the 124th Pioneer Battalion. The 124th was raised by the Governor General's Body Guard in the Toronto area.