British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-04-16, 04:06 PM

Default The sinking of the Canadian Navy

It is indeed a sad time for the Royal Canadian Navy, Just as bad as the period between the great wars.

A must read article http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/t...canadian-navy/

some highlights of the article

Canada is a maritime nation. To the north, east and west, there are oceans, and to the south, the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence Seaway. We have more coastline than any nation on Earth; and the largest maritime territory—approximately the same size as the continent of Australia. Yet, inexplicably, we have allowed our Navy to rot so badly, it is now ranked with the maritime forces of Bangladesh.
Until very recently, Athabaskan had two sister ships that could have replaced it at the Trident Juncture exercise. But, in May and June of this year, these were decommissioned as no longer seaworthy. After years of neglect, budget cuts and delays, our maritime forces have no more destroyers. Hansen believes the only message now being sent to Moscow is: “Canada’s Navy has crapped out and they [the Russians] don’t have to be worried.”

Last edited by RonArm; 05-04-16 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-04-16, 05:28 PM

Default Thanks

Ron,

Thanks for posting this. Although I was Army, my old man served 27 years in the RCN/CF Maritime Command, 1945-1972. It just makes me shake my head to read this. I know that costs are increasing everywhere, but I wish the politicians would realize that we have to pay now or pay later...and later may be a heck of a lot more unpleasant.

I would hope that the senior types act with a little more offensive spirit (something I am sure we would want our personnel charged to defend Canada, to have). Maybe, if the ones to tell the politicians they were full of it and asking the impossible were PO's and CPO's, WO's and RSM's, guys maybe not so concerned with their careers, things might be different. Maybe not, but at least it wouldn't be sugar-coated. Reminds me of the old joke about the reaction to a plan. The lower ranks state "it won't work and is nothing but S**T!" By the time it gets passed up the chain of command, it sounds like "it is good and promotes growth"!!

All I can do is pray that if the s**t hits the fan, the politicians don't turn to Forces and say, "Why can't you do something?"

Ian
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 05-04-16, 08:21 PM

So, it's not just Britain that's run by incompetent clowns then!!. Just be thankful you've not got that knobhead Cameron and his cronies advising your government, if you had you would be well in the clarts!!.
Old 05-04-16, 09:24 PM

Default Military procurement is a national disgrace.....

An article written by Scott Gilmore,dated 19 June 2015.
http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/m...onal-disgrace/

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 06-04-16, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
So, it's not just Britain that's run by incompetent clowns then!!. Just be thankful you've not got that knobhead Cameron and his cronies advising your government, if you had you would be well in the clarts!!.
No different in Australia, or apparently NZ.
Old 06-04-16, 01:32 PM

There was a report on the CBC news last night about all the cruise ships that are expected to travel through the Northwest Passage now that much of the ice shelf has melted. The Canadian Coastguard have only a few ice breakers available and if there is an accident it will be a major problem to deal with given that, and the fact that search-and-rescue will be difficult too.

David
Old 07-04-16, 01:28 PM

Default Exercise Maple Spring 68

For myself I personally was on this Exercise and the RCN was well prepared in the Atlantic to provide service to Canada in 68
Attached Images
File Type: jpg navy4.jpg (72.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 07-04-16, 01:31 PM

Default New proposed Arctic patrol ships

New proposed Arctic patrol ships, I am wondering if one of theses ships will be name HMCS Margaret Brooke in her honour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg navy.jpg (60.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg navy2.jpg (42.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-04-16, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonArm View Post
New proposed Arctic patrol ships, I am wondering if one of theses ships will be name HMCS Margaret Brooke in her honour.
Looks like a state of the art ship....IF she ever gets built.....
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 07-04-16, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonArm View Post
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/hmcs-marg...ha-brooke.page

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 07-04-16, 04:56 PM

Default Harry DeWolf Class

http://www.navy-marine.forces.gc.ca/...aops-home.page

The Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship (AOPS) project will deliver six ice-capable ships, designated as the Harry DeWolf Class, after Canadian wartime naval hero Vice-Admiral Harry DeWolf.

The AOPS will be capable of:
•armed sea-borne surveillance of Canada's waters, including the Arctic
•providing government situational awareness of activities and events in these regions
•cooperating with other partners in the Canadian Armed Forces and other government departments to assert and enforce Canadian sovereignty, when and where necessary.

Construction of the first AOPS will begin in September 2015, with HMCS Harry DeWolf scheduled for delivery in 2018.

The announced names of the Harry DeWolf-class ships to date are:
•HMCS Harry DeWolf
•HMCS Margaret Brooke
•HMCS Max Bernays
•HMCS William Hall
•HMCS Frédérick Rolette