British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Air Force (RCAF and CAF)

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-04-15, 08:43 PM
Banned

As Mike has shown Australian insignia was indeed made. In addition to the fist and sparks and Scully cap badges, a full set of pilots and half wings were also produced and can be found fairly easily.

The caps were definitely produced in Canada and if you are 100% certain the RCN never used them they must have been produced solely for the RAAF trainees. A friend of mine has one.

Last edited by SAS1; 05-04-15 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-04-15, 08:49 PM

To add to RCAF Mikey I also have a Canadian made RAAF wireless patch. I have never seen an RAAF version of the Yukon or a Canadian made RAAF tunic or officers badges. The mystery goes on.
Old 04-04-15, 09:07 PM
Banned

With respect Ed you cant have looked very far! Canadian made RAAF insignia is not especially rare or hard to find. Here are a couple from my collection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT2448.jpg (65.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg PICT2449.jpg (68.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg PICT2450.jpg (53.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg PICT2451.jpg (77.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg PICT2452.jpg (105.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg PICT2453.jpg (63.9 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-04-15, 09:08 PM
Banned

I'll have to dig out the regs tomorrow. And the photo of the cap being worn
Old 04-04-15, 09:11 PM

Some nice wings there.
Old 04-04-15, 09:24 PM

I agree, love the wings. Esp. the Brown Wreathed Aussie
Old 04-04-15, 09:58 PM

Default Captain of the Aircraft armband

I found this beauty of a picture. It looks like an RAAF cap badge. Can someone comment on this one. Looks like an RCAF armband?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-04-15, 10:16 PM
Banned

The Captain of Aircraft armband was RAF issue only and then rarely worn. It was issued from 1944 (I have the date somewhere) to a crewman other than pilot when it was considered the pilot did not command enough authority amongst his crew.

I have one, a serge armband with a pale blue section which had a large red woven 'C' under a brass or gilt eagle and crown. Poppers fixing.
Old 05-04-15, 08:38 AM
Banned

Captain of Aircraft armband.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-04-05 09.35.28.jpg (53.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 05-04-15, 02:17 PM

Ok then not RCAF arm band.
Old 05-04-15, 03:06 PM
Banned

It wasn't RCAF issue, but it might have been issued to Canadians or Australians serving amongst RAF squadrons.
Old 05-04-15, 07:10 PM
Banned

A quote from RCAF Dress Regulations - Air Force Routine Order 28/41 'Clothing and badges - RAAF Personnel'

"A stock of clothing and badges peculiar to the RAAF has been obtained, to be held at No. 1 'A' Equipment Sub-Depot, Ottawa. This stock will include greatcoats of RAAF pattern, but of a heavier weight as required by Canadian climatic conditions, and winter caps in the colour of the RAAF uniforms."

It then goes on to say these are to be issued on loan and withdrawn when RAAF garments become available. Items not in RAAF uniform blue (undergarments, gloves, overshoes etc) will be issued from RCAF stock.

As for insignia it notes; "Pilot, Air Observers, Air Gunners, and Wireless Operators badges of RAAF pattern will be held at No. 1 'A' Equipment Sub-Depot, and are to be demanded by schools for RAAF trainees who are about to graduate. Sergeants chevrons of |RAAF pattern are to be issued at the schools where promotion is promulgated." Scale of badges 4 per man (aircrew badges), 8 each (4 blue and 4 drab) (Rank badges)

Final item notes that all RAAF pattern kit is to be withdrawn at the Embarkation Depot and returned for cleaning and repair and then returned to stock.

Specifically relating to the winter cap photo below of them being worn by RAAF trainees at No. 3 Wireless School at Winnipeg in Canada, complete with 'bronzed' badges and dark blue Australian issue coveralls.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P01270_003.jpg (49.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 14-04-15, 12:49 AM

The Air Board did issue an order (I am unable to locate copy at present) which required the caps to be handed into stores before trainees left Canada. However with all things military there are exceptions.

As to the question of RAAF uniforms being made in Canada the short answer is yes - for trainees commissioned off course who were then authorised to have 2 summer and 2 winter uniforms made. Generally the trainees were more likely to have their uniforms made in the UK as this was the more common posting. However others who remained in Canada after being commissioned would have needed to have uniforms made in Canada.

Here is a picture of my cap with a Scully badge - the cap was purchased in Australia and at the time I assumed it was a blue grey example until it arrived in my mail. Then later when I was showing it to another collector we could clearly see the outline of where the badge had resided.
Old 14-04-15, 03:38 PM

Default Winter cap

Nice hat. Any markings?
Regards,
Dominique